Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EPO admin password not working all of a sudden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmptrwmn

Technical User
Feb 23, 2004
US
Has anyone come across where the admin password to log on to EPo all of a sudden stops working. I ended up having to reinstall EP0. This is the second time this has happen. First time I thought I was loosing it then when it hapeen again....THere has got to be a setting somewhere that I am not aware of where it might be. Can anyone help?

thanks,
cmptrwmn

try accessing the SQL database within ePO (using an SQL server in your network), and there´s somewhere a table that has the usernames and the cyphered password. Just copy the cyphered password somewhere (a text document for instance). Then, if the pass fucks up, just replace in the database the fucked up password with the one you saved previously and voila, all restored

Yeah, I had what maybe the same problem logging onto ePO from my laptop. One min. was fine, next minute no. I changed the port to 80, from 81, and it then worked fine. The only thing that had changed on my laptop was I'd installed a Bluetooth dongle, but I don't see why that would've stuffed it up.

It did work OK from other PCs though, so this may not be exactly the same as your problem

Out of curiosity; had you changed a domain admin password recently? We had one of our epo services dependant on a domain admin account and after resetting it it wonked ePO badly forcing a reinstall.

NAI's support team wasn't much help. The reinstall seemed to go pretty well, however, we still have a few ePO agents out in the wild that do weird things when updating (like cross the country to get updates instead of their own site, refuse to acknowledge authorized server lists, etc).

Did Epolicy service starts up?

You should also check if the database is in suspect mode(With SQL Enterprise Manager, for instance).

When you change the password for the user that did the installation you need to run CFGNAIMS.EXE to change it for the ePolicy Orcehstrator installation. The database password does not change automatically if the NT account has been modified.

yep, in cfgnaims.exe you can define with which account the epo service should log on to the SQL database provided. If this is done by using NT authentication and you have recently changed the password of the NT account provided here, the Epo service won't be able to use the database at all.

So, if you can't logon into your console, try restarting the epo service ("McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 3.0.1 Server"). If it stops but doesn't start anymore with an "unspecified error", than it's bound to an authentication problem to the database.

My personal way of avoiding this to happen in the future is to install 3.0.1 by using an SQL account rather than NT, keep this in mind for your next installation :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back