Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ePO 3.6.1 & VirusScan 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty

Programmer
Feb 22, 2001
US
Hi Folks,

I have two issues so I'll start with the first one. With the influx of Vista starting I decided to upgrade all clients to VirusScan 8.5. So I downloaded the new version of ePO (3.6.1) and the VirusScan 8.5 and ePO Agent 3.60. Managed to successfully push out the agent and the software to all the clients. However, made the mistake of assuming that the policies that I had set up for 8.0 would remain.

So I want to now go back to ePO and set up new policies for 8.5. However, when I look at the POlicies tab for my client PC group, it doesn't list VirusScan 8.5 and so I can't alter the policy for it. How do I get around that.

Another query is in relation to upgrading VirusScan on my servers (windows server 2003). I still have VirusScan 7.1 on my servers. Is it safe to upgrade these to 8.5?

Mighty

I have 8.5 running on W2k3, no issues.

Can't help with your other problem, sorry.

Mighty,

Sounds like you have not yet checked in the 8.5 package and/or NAP.Once that is done, it should appear in your policies tab.

Duh....forgot to check in the NAP - thanks

Mighty

Another issue is that the policies tab is showing the ePO agent as 3.5.5 even though I have version 3.6 installed on all clients.

Mighty

Oddly, after we checked in 3.6, 3.5 DISAPPEARED even though we had yet to fully deploy 3.6.

Not sure what to make of that so I'm afraid I can't help you with that - sorry.

It's a weird one alright as the repository shows the current version as 3.6 but it doesn't appear in the policies tab. Also the deployment tab under my servers group doesn't give me the option to install ePO Agent 3.6 - still only has 3.5.5 so I can't upgrade VirusScan on my servers through ePO.

Mighty

We had a similar problem going from 7.1 to 8.0. Ended up deleting the package from the repository and checking it back in and...drum roll........it magically shows up in all the right places.

Not sure if this would correct the agent situation for you but perhaps worth a shot?

HI Jeff,

When I go to the repository and click on Manage packages - it give me a list of all the checked in packages. There is only one entry for the agent and that is version 3.6. when I click on it, it doesn't give me the option to delete it.

Mighty

Hmm, I see that. Does the same for me (though I could delete others).

I would then suggest checking the 3.6 package in again and see if it goes thru the entire check in process again to see if that corrects it. If it still does not show up as a deployable option, I would bounce the server when you can (though this process SHOULD be real-time).

Fix one problem - find another. Did what you suggested and checked in the 3.6 package again. Lo and behold it appears for installation. Now I had already installed the package by sending agent install. So I planned to do the VirusScan upgrade. So I go into the deployment task and it list all the packages. However, i can't click on the dropdown list to install the new VirusScan!!!!

Mighty

If you are trying to do this in the Deployment task setting and the deployable products are greyed out, it's likely that it is inheriting. If that is the case, just uncheck the 'Inherit' box in the top left.

Not that simple unfortunately. They are not greyed out - just when I click on the drop down lists nothing happens - for any product in the list.

Mighty

I've tried to recreate this here but cannot. Not seen that behavior before either. I did learn that if you can highlight the Action box you can toggle 'Install' and 'Ignore' by depressing the 'I' key or bring up 'Remove' with the 'R'...perhaps that will work if the dropdown doesn't? Grasping at straws there, I'll admit!

Perhaps this is where the reboot may come into play though I do dislike that option because then we don't KNOW why something happened. BUT, sometimes that is the most time-effective thing to do.

Let me know what you think or if you are able to resolve this problem.

Hi Jeff,

Little weird but for some reason I had to double click on the actions list to get the dropdown to activate. Once I double clicked on them, I was able to select the install action??

Thanks for all the help

Mighty

Certainly not the first time ePO has acted,um, shall we say, odd? LOL

Perhaps ePO was still doing some processing of the package(s)? Who knows, but I'm glad you got that working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back