Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EPN issue - phones do not ring - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnealtx

Technical User
Jul 26, 2013
US
Definity G3R V12, CM 2.2

EPN is a single shelf.

Test environment shows Test 117 Abort, Test 118 Fail. Error and alarm logs show Ring Gen entries for the cabinet. All stations fail test 48.

Have swapped out maintenance board, tone/clock board and power supply with no change.

Not sure what else it can be - can anyone shed more light?

- Mike

most of case is Power unit problem . Howerver does the message lamp flash when ringing ?

Power supply has been swapped with no change.

Phones are not Avaya, but message lamp was observed to flash when ringing.

- Mike

DC power or AC Power , if AC power you should turn to 20Hz on America or 25Hz in Euro.
when using DC power , it is no selectable switch.

Power supply is WP-91153-L3, AC, did not see a selector switch. Can you describe where the switch would be?

- Mike

have you check the cabinet backplane pin is good ? Because when plug in this power it may make the pin bend ?

This power is old model no hz setting.

Have not checked backplane, as problem occurred with old power supply in place and is still existing with replacement PS.

do you have spare tn2793b or tn 746b analog card ? You can replace one card for test good or problem

I will try that next - the station boards are the only thing I haven't changed.

Would a faulted station board trigger a Ring generator alarm?

I have a case all analog card suddleny dead with power unit. We doesn't know why ?

The cards aren't dead, though - they can place calls and, if they pick up while ringing (even if they can't hear) it connect to the calling party.

Really scratching my head on this one - I'll try swapping out the station boards.

- Mike

Analog boards swapped with no change.

The only card that hasn't been swapped out are the interface and call classifier.

Only power supplies left in stock are 1217A.

you have a bad ring generator and that is why it is failing test 117 and 118

Before replace power unit,also check the scc cabinet backplane pin is good.

Troubleshooting to date:

Power supply (WP-91153-L3) swapped out (same model) - no change.
Maintenance board swapped out - no change
Tone / clock swapped out - no change
Station boards swapped out - no change

Only remaining cards are the interface board and the call classifier.

Joe - in the second line of the OP I mentioned swapping out the power supply, which contains the ring generator. I suppose it's remotely possible that the replacement 91153 also has a bad ring generator...I'll check that tomorrow.

Only power supplies remaining in stock are 1217A, with known instability with fluctuating power (which we have - site runs on generators for prime power with a site UPS (Liebert))

- Mike

Wilson -

Sure, I'll check that - which pin is it, how do I check it (other than it being bent/missing) and how would it have gone bad while the other power supply was in place?

HI mnealtx
when pull out the power unit , use eletric torch toward see the cabinet inside pin is good or bent.

I will do that.

Once I check it and the pin is good, what's the NEXT step?????

Current status:

Symptom - Analog phones on EPN do not ring - all other functions remain (calling, etc). Test env fails 117 (Abort) and 118 (Fail).

Prior troubleshooting:
Cabinet warm and cold reboot
Power supply replaced (both WP-91153-L3) - no change
Boards reseated
Maintenance board replaced - no change
Tone/clock board replaced - no change
Station boards replaced - no change
Power supply pins checked (ok), power supply replaced again (1217A) - no change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor