Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Environment space in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frandalf

Programmer
Sep 26, 2002
BE

Hello Fellow Clipper Programmers,

I have a problem with compiling Clipper programs in Windows XP.

I recently installed a new PC with XP where my old one has W98.

I keep getting a compiller error C2050 wich is supposed to be:

"Code block contains both macro and declared symbol references"

When I look at the code, I find no reason why the error should happen (please believe for now).

Now, in the past, I had the same mysterious error messages on my old W98 system. This happened when I decreased my environment space (just trying to save memory space).

To make a long story short, when my CONFIG.SYS had the line

SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM C:\WINDOWS /e:1000 /p

I got the error, but when my CONFIG.SYS had the line

SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM C:\WINDOWS /e:2000 /p

the compiler didn't complain. This was strange but I couldn't find the real reason, so I thought Clipper just needed more environment space and I was happy with setting the environment space a bit higher as long as this worked. Wich it did.

But now, with Windows XP, the Clipper compiler starts showing the same, weird, behaviour.

So, is there a way to get more environment space in the XP command window (if thats what I really need) or is there another reason why the clipper compiler gives these strange error messages?

Did I do something wrong in the past and did I find the wrong solution?

I hope someone can help me out of this.

Thanks for just reading. THANKS for any respond.

Can't tell if extra env space will clear up your problem, but I created extra space on NT & W2K boxes, by setting in the system-environment a known variable (MYVAR) to a large amount of characters. Then just after opening my DOS box I reset that same variable, to get the extra space (Set MYVAR=)
There are more then 1 way to enlarge the environment space, and if you open config.nt in your Window\System32 dir you can also change some other DOS settings, like files=
Change specific settings right on the shortcut you create for the app, pressing F1 on that dialog give more info AFAIK

HTH
TonHu

Thanks TonHu,

that might help. Also, I found out that the problem goes away if, in between, I call one of my BAT files that does a lot of environment settings (all my environment handles and PATH and so on, wich I use while developping in Clipper). As if this does some 'cleaning up' of the environment space after wich I can do a few more compiler runs?!? Strange.

Maybe the problem is XP not process CONFIG.SYS; instead,
it process CONFIG.NT.

Hope this help. Regards.

Eliseo.

Hi Eliseo,

Thanks for the reply, but no, thats not the case. I am aware of the fact that XP uses config.NT instead of config.SYS.

Frandalf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back