Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Envelope Manual feed 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

webrabbit

MIS
Jan 31, 2003
US
I just wrote a program to print mailing addresses on #10 envelopes. Among others, I used the command Esc & l 3 H to initiate the job. The results were bizzare, nothing was printed on the envelopes; when I fed instead letter paper, one line was printed on each sheet, far outside the area that would have printed on the envelopes. I switched to Esc & l 2 H, and the envelopes printed the way I wanted and expected.

So what does the "3" option do, and what is its purpose?

Just for historical "correctness" the 600 dpi first came with the LJ4.

I rarely use 600 upi myself. Even on something like the MICR I will change the upi to 600 just for that data and then back to 300.

The best use that I have for 600 is when I am creating a form and set the line spacing to zero and use x,y for positioning. That is fine until you have need to do a series of "LF's" at 8 lpi. It's hard to advance 37.5 on the y axis.

Jim Asman

Dansdad

I just reread you last post. I don't know what the capabilities of the 3si were, and as it was later the the LJ3, maybe it did support 600 dpi.

The thing I find curious about the real dpi resolutions wars is that while the printer may be able to address 1200 dpi or whatever, the toner particles are probably significantly larger. I bet that a raster image that had alternating B&W pixels would print solid black even at 300dpi. Of course the devices that use photographic paper it is a different matter and those things don't need to dither either.

Jim Asman

Jim

I can't be sure that the III Si was a 600 dpi device, I only have hazy memories of that long ago.

As regards the effect of different resolutions, one topic (see ), which we both contributed to, was to do with generating user-defined patterns at 600 dpi resolution to improve shading compared to the built-in (300 dpi) shading patterns.

I don't have a magic indexing system, or an ESP interface - I vaguely remembered the topic and just did a search of my previous posts to find it.

It's easy to set 8 lpi. Just use the command Esc &l6C or Esc &l8D. Note that the vaild values for Esc &l#D are those that result from integral values of Esc &l#C, but Esc &l#C accepts non-integral values; I use Esc &l4.8C for 10 lpi.

You misunderstand what I was doing. I turned line spacing off with <esc>&l0C

Then I was using PCL code to position text, not relying on the linefeed ...

<esc>*p120x800YSome Text
<esc>*p120x+50YSome more text
<esc>*p120x+50YLine 3

Using the relative +50Y(6 lpi @300 upi) I can very precisely control the line
spacing. My point was that at 300 upi, I couldn't get 8 lpi exactly. It is
easily dealt with, but you still have to deal with it. Of course it is not a
problem @ 600 upi.

We should probably move this to another thread if we continue.

Jim Asman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back