Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Entire line wrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneden

Programmer
May 6, 2005
US
I've been stuck on this problem for a bit now. I am creating a bibliography with MLA style citations. This is a free-form report so everything is in a subheading, here is the problem:

1) I need to be able to have the entire line (in this case a subheading) wrap to the next line if it over flows. I can accomplish this by pushing all of the fields together and then outputing with pdf wrap option.

2) I need to be able to have one field (publisher) be in italics. I can achieve this with the style sheet if all of my fields are separate.

Unfortunately, so far I have found these solutions to be mutually exclusive. Here is what I want to be able to do:
Code:
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
type=subhead, line=1, item=3, style=+italic, $
type=subhead, wrap=8.0, $
ENDSTYLE
ON RECORD_ID SUBHEAD
"<AUTH<TITLE<PUB<DISPLAY_DATE"
This code causes each item to wrap individualy, not as an entire line.
Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff Sneden

Jeff,

Instead of using separate fields for AUTH, TITLE, etc. , why not concatenate them together, so they're a single field? That way, the entire line is the thing that wraps.

It'll look something like:

Code:
DEFINE FILE filename
LINE/A200 = AUTH || (' ' | TITLE) || (' ' | PUB) || (' ' | DISPLAY_DATE);
END

The above code inserts a SINGLE space between the fields.

If DISPLAY_DATE is a 'date' format field, then you'll need to use one of the date handling routines, to turn it into an alpha string.

Right now that is my solution, but it is insufficient as I am not able to italicize the publication then. Thanks for the help.

-Jeff Sneden

Jeff,

If need be (assuming your output it HTML), you can put the HTML control characters right into the string of concatenated fields. Just remember to SET HTMLENCODE=OFF.

I need the output to be PDF.

Thanks,
Jeff Sneden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back