Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Entire font family not available

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimdburns

Vendor
Jun 4, 2003
US
When I load a font family such as Helvetica Neu, Futura, ect. with lots of font styles, only 3 or 4 of the styles are available for use in ID. However, they are all available in every other application. (AI, PS, Quark, ect.)

I have loaded fonts thru the various libaries, Suitcase 10 and Font Agent. I have deleted the Adobefnt.lst, Adobefnt05.lst and Adobefnt06.lst. I tried the alias trick and nothing seems to work.

I consider myself both fairly font and computer saavy but this is about to push me over the edge!! I am a production artist and it is very difficult to be effective and productive when I am constantly having to produce text in another app and then place it in ID.

Any help or insight is most appreciated!! Thanks so much! [gorgeous]

I am not sure of the correct technical terms, but here we go....
I think that your Font Styles are there in the Character Palette.
Although they may be listed as separate styles in many other programmes, Indesign tends to group them into a main font style in the left scroll-window of the Character Palette. After you have selected the Main font, go to the right-hand scroll-window you can then find all the variations of the main font style.

You are right, you do select the font family in the first drop down and then can make changes in the next but I can't. Example, right now I have Futura and Futura Cond loaded. Everything from light to ex bold. The only choices available to me are medium, medium italic, medium cond, and ex bold.

In AI and PS they are ALL available.

But thanks anyway.

I guess there's something wrong with your system. To me every single Futura font that I installed is perfectly accessable everywhere.

Check and see what fonts are in your system>library>fonts folder (or your user fonts folder, too). If those fonts are in the system folder, they'll override whatever you have installed in Suitcase. Delete the fonts from the system folder and you should be all set.

That's pretty much what the problem was. The fonts giving me problems were in my Local-Libary-Fonts.

OS X will not allow any fonts from the the System-Libary-Fonts to be deleted without some additional work and it can cause problems as well. However, any fonts in the Users-Libary or the Local-Libary are not necessary for the OS X system to function properly. I trashed them all.

I just did not realize there was Local-Libary as well. I was only aware of the User and System Libaries.

Thank You

I've trashed most of my fonts in the system library because of all the conflicts. The easiest way to do this was to boot into OS9 and trash them that way, otherwise, you'd need to log in as Root in OSX. The only fonts I have left in the system folder are the keyboard font, LastResort, nad LucindaGrande. Those seem to be essential for some reason.
Glad everything worked out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back