Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enterprise Manager connection issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlree

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2004
US
WinXP machine, running MSDE with Client tools. I have an SqlServer Db on a remote host that the tech support for that host says they can log into in EM. I however cannot. It seems to run and run and run.
I know EM is ok, I have another SQL Server on a diff remote host and while it takes a few minutes to connect, it does connect.

I have read the FAQS here, I can ping the server, I can telnet into the server. What else can i do?

You may just be reaching the timeout with Enterprise Manager. It has a 60 second timeout I believe. You can try the commandline tools osql or isql and see if they work any better for you. I take it that the remote server is hosted by an ISP? You might want to do a trace route to them. If you have a slow hop between you and the server that could explain it.

Unfornitually there isn't much you can do about the connection timeout. I believe that it's hard coded in the dlls.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]

You have XP. Did you install Service Pack 2? If so, did you adjust the Windows Firewall to allow TCP Port 1433? That port is blocked by default and that's the default that SQL Server listens on.

-SQLBill

Thanks alot but NO i did not install service pack 2, as we are behind a pretty tight firewall here. But port 1433 is open, as i use it for another db.

Here is a quirk for you. If I open the DB in Query Analyzer, instead of clicking on the Databases folder, it opens just fine.

Why?

Maybe EM in hanging when polling the server status. You could try turning that off.
In EM click tools/Options. Uncheck the check box at the top.

Other than that I don't have much. You can also try turning on tracing in the ODBC manager and see if that logs anything.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back