Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enterprise level Drive Mapping for Laptops 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCtech2

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2007
US
Is there a Best practices or secure and safe way to map drives on corporate laptops so users wont store data on the local HD?

Thx.

Just so I understand your question, are you referring to when laptop users are beyond the firewall? If so, solutions such as VPN are plausible.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Thanks for the reply, actually both. I'm sure you have ran into the problem the users save everything except the kitchen sink on the local drive. I'm looking for a way to map the "My Doc's" to the users fldr on the network drive, whether they are in the office behind the firewall or outside in the big bad world. I know VPN is an option, but thats going a stretch to get them to be on VPN when they are saving documents. What do you think?

Thanks.

Well, you'd need a connection to the network drive if you're going to force people to save things on a network drive when they're out of the office. That requires something like a VPN solution.

And then, you have to worry about people who aren't connected, but need to save documents.

I use the server to sync the My Documents folder to the server, and the users just save stuff to My Documents. Sure, they end up with stuff on the laptop, but it gets copied to the server when they're in the office.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Thx 58sniper, that sounds like the best solution I will talk to my Sr. Server Admin and come up with a game plane on doing the sync. That will save a little time when we have to refresh an image or replace a drive. Thx again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back