Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enterprise level CMS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn't, but I have now and it looks interesting.
Just downloading it to set up a test server.

My only possible problem is that it's written in PERL and I've not written anything in PERL for about 6 years... and then it was only a guestbook script ;)

I can see a scenraio where I'm going to have to customise things here and there so I need to be fairly comfy with the development language. Which is going to be PHP.

That said, it's worth a look and does seem to be ideal.
Cheers!

<honk>*:O)</honk>
Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web site design in Cheltenham and Gloucester
Ham and Jam - British & Commonwealth forces mod for Half Life 2

Smah,
I'm familiar with OpensourceCMS but it doesn't really have anything at the level I am looking for.
The possible exceptions are Joomla and Typo3.
Joomla might be a little lightweight for what I need and always seemed a bit confused in how it managed/displayed content.

Typo3 is a monster. I've played with it under Windows in the past, but tried to install it on an XServe this morning and gave up after 45 minutes. Will go back to it later.

If you truly want an enterprise CMS without breaking the bank, WebGUI is the way to go. I'm currently using it, and this is my thoughts about it so far:

Pros:
1. You can install multiple instances of WebGUI on the same server. I'm currently doing mine as subdomains: webgui.joes.com
webgui.larrys.com

2. The development is strong and stable (a few bugs... but nothing big).

3. Tons a features, and plenty more to come... including ecommerce.

Cons:
1. The documentation is weak.

If you know oo php, and some Apache then it wouldn't be too difficult for you to install this CMS and upgrade as necessary. If you have any probs with the perl, take it over to the perl forum!

If you have any questions, please ask.

Let us know your results!

X

webguisite said:
Easy To Install
With the use of the WebGUI Runtime Environment (Unix, Mac, Linux, BSD) and the WebGUI Zip-N-Go (Windows), setup takes minutes rather than hours.

Must be you then. ;-)

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

"My new site" - Me

I can tell you it isn't easy to install, even with WRE.

There is alot of assumed knowledge going on. For instance, you first need to ensure you have the OSX Dev tools installed in order to build the required PERL modules. Doesn't say that anywhere in any docs I found. Most Mac users wouldn't have a clue where to start!

On the plus side. I've tried the demo and it's pretty sweet.

Hi Foamcow,

Try forum1246 -they might be able to help :)

Regards

Jakob

Foamcow,

Enterprise Level CMS:

This should have all that you need and more. It also integrates well with enterprise class solutions, such as ERP's, enterprise DB's, integration software such as the IBM Websphere suite and can be delivered as part of your enterprise portal.. again an IBM offering:
If your company wants true enterprise class software that meets their extensible, scalable and integrative needs then you need to be looking at solutions like the above. Although I think IBM has a very good offering if you're willing to spend a reasonable amount on a solution (which most entperises are), there are others at a similar level.. IMHO WebGUI isn't - even though it looks like a good bit of software for SMB's.. especially for the purchase price!

Oracle offers a CMS too, and if you're a microsoft house, they also offer one: The point is that these will integrate with a lot of back-end technology, and offer better scalability than many 'free', 'low-cost', etc solutions (not necessarily all, but I'm yet to see one that contradicts this). So if you want enterprise level solutions, start by thinking about what is being used in the rest of the enterprise.. and what kind of scale you need to achieve, as this will drive your requirements more than "hey that one is free to install" - TCO is important to enterprises: nothing is free, onward integration, support, reliability, hardware costs, vendor capability / size, corporate strategy etc etc are a big factor in decision making - at least when it is done correctly.

So if you want a simple, almost throw-away solution (strategically concerned) then something like WebGUI might be the best choice - there are a lot out there though, so download a few and test for yourself which you find the most appropriate for your needs..
but...
you did say enterprise level,.. which implies that enterprise architecture and strategy would come into play, and other factors should be considered beyond the purchase price. The main ones being Integration, Scalability and TCO. First point of call is to ask your enterprise architects / strategy leaders which direction to focus, and consider what other internal systems you use.. because one day they will want to join them all together...

Hope that helps.

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

Good advice there Damber.
Perhaps "enterprise" was the wrong word to use. This is for a large client with sites around the world.

I'm still looking at WebGUI and similar. My main concerns are ease of installation and maintenance plus the "safety net" of some kind of support.

I suggest looking into Joomla a bit more. It's EXTREMLY easy to install, has great documentation, and is loaded with features.

Joomla and Mambo are/were basically the same thing.
I've got a test install of Joomla running and am still looking at it.

DotNetNuke is out of the window because of the "DotNet" bit. nNet won't run on an Apache server as far as I know.

LAMP = Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP

I've been looking at a few others as well as WebGUI (which is proving to be a pig to install - even using their WRE under a fresh Fedora 5 Core Installation. There are just too many packages missing from the WRE and I'm not a Linux expert so working out what I need, where to get it and how to install is a p.i.t.a.

Apologies Foamcow, I should have read your first post more thoroughly - I didn't notice the platform bit.

But as Chrissie says you can run .NET under linux, but I'm not so sure about ASP.NET via Apache. I run this on my linux development server pretty well - it can be a bit fiddly to install - I've had 1 perfectly smooth install (Fedora Core 4) and 2 more troublesome installs (FreeBSD and Fedora Core 5) - but managed to get them all working fine after the usual extra fiddling needed for these things and it seems to perform pretty well.

The only thing I run at home on the LAMP stack (well minus MySQL) is subversion WebSVN. LAMP has some benefits and some drawbacks, just like everything else. You can also run Apache, MySQL and PHP on windows - or replace with MSSQL, or Oracle, or DB2, or Perl, or .... you can pick and choose if you really want... though probably better to stick with standard, well used stacks as you'll find much more cohesive support for them. In other words, stay with Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP or make the move over to a fully .NET environment on Windows (you can even frontend IIS with Apache if this is the important part) - only mix if you have to (but don't discount a product which meets your needs 100% just because it doesn't follow your technology edict).

However as you're more of a PHP man then stick to what you know if you're going to be the only one to support it!

btw, if you're really struggling with WebGUI on FC5 then try FC4 - it may be a compatibility issue (which probably can be resolved with time and effort.. but have you got that to spare?) - I had a real pain in the.. when trying to install NX Server on FC5 - took a bit of searching for the right packages etc, whereas FC4 was a smooth, simple install.

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

Sorry chaps, been busy and not really had much chance to come back to this thread.

As an update...
I've left WebGUI for now after getting seriously annoyed with it. I just don't have the time to fight with something like that just to see if it's right for the job.
I need to be able to deploy something knowing that it's going to go down the same way each time I do it.
It's probably just down to me not knowing Linux well enough, but I'm not a dimbo and that thing is NOT easy to install.

Soooo I went back and took another look at Joomla. When I replanned this particular job I realised it wasn't nearly as frightening as the intitial schematics implied.
So far, so good. I'm starting to understand how it works and there are some components available that will prove very useful.

Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back