Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enterprise defrag tool 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

avputnam

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2003
US
I am looking for the enterprise level defragmentation tool that allows central administration and that does not slow down server performance. Do you use a defrag tool you really like that you can recommend?

Thank you!

Every Product will impact performance to some extent.

The best one i have found is raxco's perfect disk. I have it running on some clusters and once the initial defrag was run its been keeping about 6Tb of storage running well ever since.

It can defrag multiple volumes/luns simultaneous which is nice, takes under an hour run at night to keep the above storage in line once a week. Its a pretty cheap product as well if you need more then 1 license.

Perfect disk also has a free central management console, i can't say that I've used it thou as i only have a dozen machines with it on and they are all set and forget pretty much.

Thank you for advice! I looked at diskeeper but it looks like I have to install it on every server/computer in order to configure it for the enterprise. What version of Raxco's perfect disk are you running, theravager? How many clients do you manage with it?

Diskkeeper is nice because it does one big scan then defrags the sectors that go bad from there on. At least their new version does that. So you really don't take so much of performance hit.

Check them out, they'll give you a 30 day trial and if it isn't something you can use just uninstall it.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Diskeeper is used on the servers and workstations at my workplace, and I have heard only good things about it from the IT guys. Supposedly, the on-the-fly defrag thing works nicely and keeps the drives tidy consistently.

As the poster above suggested-use the 30-day free trial; nothing to lose.

Just a warning about Diskeeper: We purchased it for numerous servers and 2 administration consoles. Well, You can't do 2 admin consoles. It screws up the database. So, the "central" admin console would need to be on a shared PC if you have more than one administrator that is going to use it.

Thank you very much for recommendations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back