Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enterprise backup software for E2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjzielinski

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2001
US
We are currently using Brightstor (Arcserve or whatever it's called this week) v9 for our backup software. The software is installed on our DC and it uses the agent to back up Exchange. This works about 80% of the time, the other 20% we have no idea why it doesn't work. Currently we are seeking alternatives. Does anybody out there use agents to back up Exchange? We need a brick level backup, so we can restore individual mailboxes.

Bill Zielinski
County of Midland, Michigan

You can always use Exmerge, or the built in MS backup on the Exchange box or a third party product like Backup Exec. (Veritas)

Regards,
Kirk

You can always use Exmerge, or the built in MS backup on the Exchange box or a third party product like Backup Exec. (Veritas)

Regards,
Kirk

Sorry about the previous post, The page hung and I refreshed.... so two posts. I didn't see the no promoting thing until after the post, that was my first post to this forum.

Regards,
Kirk

I've had pretty good success with Veritas BackUp Exec and its Exchange agent. Like you, I've seen ArcServe have misc. hits/misses that are just inexplicable.

Backup Exec / Exchange Agent has worked well for me for about 7 years.

I would definitely not recommend using exmerge as a backup option.

Does BE offer individual mailbox restoration?
Are you using/planning to use the new 10.0 version?

Bill Zielinski
County of Midland, Michigan

BE with the Exchange agent (required for full Exchange backups) will backup/restore individual mailboxes - heck, you can get down to an individual mail item. Its a two selection process:

You can get the whole Information Store as a unit. This is the recommended minimum level as it provides Exchange backup in a quick and efficient manner and is also what you would need for disaster recovery. The limitation is you can only restore the whole IS as a unit.

You can also get individual mailboxes. This is a more resource and time intensive process - but you can restore individual mailboxes as needed.

And second the EXMerge option. While it can copy mail folders from Exchange's IS into .pst files, it doesn't copy/flush log files and it also loses single instance storage attributes.

I used CA for several years and recently switched to the Veritas product. While I don't do brick-level backups, I haven't had a single problem doing IS backups with Veritas.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back