Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Entering multiple lines of data in a text field 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbanker

Technical User
Sep 26, 2007
US
I have a text field on a form that will be used to record special notes for a project. The field size is set to 250 characters. When someone enters the field I want them to be able to type in data and then start another line of data in the same field. Right now when you enter the field, after you type in information there is no way to start another line. If you use the tab or enter key, focus goes to the next field and the down arrow key doesn't help. What can I do to remedy this?

Also on the same note Referring to the same field, at times I use code to enter data into the field from a variable. I tried to start another line by adding in the variable "+ Chr(13)" but it didn't work. I need a suggestion for this also. Anyone's help with this would be appreciated. Thanks

What about Ctrl+Enter ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

I tried to start another line by adding in the variable "+ Chr(13)"
Try changing + to &.
You might also change chr(13) to vbCrLf.

Randy

ctrl+enter does work...didn't know that - thanks PHV. Hope this solves dbanker's problem.

Sandy

Have a star, new to me. Regards

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. They do work both when transferring data in the variables and when I personally use Ctrl + enter while the field has focus. But I would also like to have my users not have to use Ctrl + enter but just press enter (only while that field has focus).

Have a look at the EnterKeyBehavior property of the control.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

In the property sheet for this control, change the "Enter Key Behavior" property from "Default" to "New Line in Field".

Roy-Vidar

I discovered the "Enter Key Behavior" property and found out it worked and was just coming back to let anyone else know it works but looks like RoyVidar and PHV beat me to it. Thanks though everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back