Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

entering data into excel using a form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Dec 20, 2002
US
I have an excel spreadsheet with a macro and a form built on it. The form contains information that the user selects from and hits the "enter data" command button which subsequently should add data to the excel spreadsheet. I was able to get past it using a crude approach but it is not fool proof. I would like to know the following with regards to adding the data to excel
Scenario 1: If the spreadsheet is blank, the data should be entered from the second row
Scenario 2: If data is already in the spreadsheet, the macro should append the data to it (detect the next row that is blank and add data to it).
Appreciate your help

In the command button code,

try this

lastrow = Range("A65536").End(xlup).row

'this gives you the last row that contains the data. Use this to add your data from form onto the worksheet. Hope this helps.

Ram P

Something that I tend to use for this is a very simple function that can be used to derive the total amount of populated rows in a sheet (plus 1).

Define a function i.e:

Public Function TotalRows(sngSheet As Single, Col As Single) As Single
Dim i As Integer
i = 1
Do While Worksheets(sngSheet).Cells(i, Col) <> &quot;&quot;
i = i + 1
Loop
TotalRows = i
End Function

When you call the function from your command button script, you need to pass in the spreadsheet number and the column to check for data i.e:

NextRow = TotalRows(1, 1)

NextRow then stores the next available row number. Simple but pretty useful. Hope this helps.

Suppose you have table with headers starting in A1, data row starts at row 2.

You can use

[tt] If Sheet1.Range(&quot;A1&quot;).CurrentRegion.Rows.Count=1 then
' Scenario 1
Else
' Scenario 2
end If[/tt]

if the code name of sheet with data is Sheet1

Thanks to everybody for their speedy response. I will give it a try and let you all know.

Ram, Can you also pls let me know why u have
Range(&quot;A65536&quot;) in the below

lastrow = Range(&quot;A65536&quot;).End(xlup).row

Is that the max number of row in an excel spreadsheet.

Thanks, I used your solution and it works great.

Yes,

It uses the logic of finding the last filled cell from bottom of the worksheet(max 65536 cells) to find the row number. You can change the alphabet A to anyone which has your data.

Hope this helps you out.

Ram P

Ram, Thanks for the quick response. You mentioned i could replace the alphabet A with any other column. The current solution checks only for column A but suppose there is an instance where Column A has no data but column b or column c or for that matter anyother column has data in it, how do we resolve that scenario

Then, as long as you don't have gaps in the 1st few rows - ie headers then continual data, you can use
Usedrange.rows.count + 1
to get the next available row Rgds
Geoff

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

You can replace A with any column headers that has the maximun row data

or you can use geoff idea, which ofcourse is new to me.. he can better guide you in this.

Ram P

Thanks Geff and Ram, I will give Geff's idea a try. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back