Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enter lists of data into Exel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hey there,

I have a whole stack of worksheets in an Excel file, that are all interrelated. I have 3 numbers that I would like to enter about 50 different values into each one, and have Excel spit out the 125,000 combinations of the results. The actual issue is adding a weight to a vehicle design, and I need to alter the amount of weight, a shape factor, and the vertical location of the weight. I can do this by entering each combination, one at a time, and copying and pasting the results, but I have a partial life I would like to live!

Can anyone tell me the easy way to enter a column of data into a single cell and get out the results of all the downstream formulas???

Thanks!

Hi there

I can't help you with the Excel logic to get done what you want, but it was too much fun to not have a go in my preferred FoxPro database programming language.

This creates an ASCII file of your results which may help, of course I'd thnk that there would be a VB expert out there who would know macro code to get your job done.

Good luck

* Foxpro code only
create table results (firstnum n(2), secondnum n(2), thirdnum n(2))
m.firstnum = 1
m.secondnum = 1
m.thirdnum = 1
for m.firstnum = 1 to 50
for m.secondnum = 1 to 50
for m.thirdnum = 1 to 50
insert into results values (m.firstnum, m.secondnum, m.thirdnum)
endfor
endfor
endfor
copy to results.csv type delimited

Regards
Pete Bloomfield
Down Under

Can you send a small sample to me at geoff.mckeown@gordona.demon.co.uk and I'll take a look at it at the weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back