Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enforced Password Changes with NT4 and W98?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jul 16, 2001
GB
This may be easy but as of yet has stumped me. HELP!
I am trying to enforce password changes on my users via NT server 4. This is easy enough and works a treat, however I am having problems implementing the password change as all our clients run Windows 98.
The problem I am encountering is that all our W98 pcs easily change the NT password but then the Win 98 local profile password (pwl) becomes out of sync and causes all sort s of problems as you can imagine. I have tried using a batch file running in the login script to delete the win98 pwl file before the change is made through NT but this just seems long winded. I am sure there must be something simple I can do???

This is always a messy situation. If one password changes, the end user will have to enter two different passwords. And then be "smart" enough to change the PWL password.

Microsoft has some solutions...

check these out:

Method 2 here looks pretty good:

-hope this helps. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Hi,
I believe you can also disable password caching, then the PWL files will not be saved. I believe you do this in your system policy. This should work. I was having a security issue with users cracking the PWL files with a password cracking program, therefore i enforced frequent password changes and disabled the password caching. I also wrote a batch file to delete the PWL files but i only used it to allow the first user logging on to a workstation to delete the existing PWL files. After the batch file had been run at least once on each w98 station, i removed the batch file.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

Thanks for that, the code looks like it may sort it if I can get it to automate properly.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back