Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Endless loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenniferMOORE

Programmer
Oct 26, 2005
US
Hi,

My Sparc won't boot, fsck won't work, and all I really wanna do is re-install Solaris.

Problem is, on power up, I get a message to run fsck, but that fails with message: CAN'T STAT THE FILE SYSTEM.

If I could get to the OK prompt, I could use the Solaris CD and enter the command: boot cdrom - browser, but trying a shutdown or init to that level gives an error message that a temp file can't be written because the file system is read only: /tmp/sh480: cannot create, Read only file system.

Anyone have any idea how I can bypass all this and simply do a fresh install of Solaris? Thank you if you do.

- Jennifer

Doing a Stop A (Stop Key and A key together) should get you to the "ok' prompt.

Is the message "CAN'T STAT THE FILE SYSTEM" not the cause of a read only filesystem?
When you try to remount the filesystem which is indicted to be fsck'd you might be able to fix the filesystem. When the root fs needs to be remounted:
# mount -o rw,remount /

The other option, and this is probably what you need to do, is boot from a cdrom (boot cdrom -s) and fsck the fs's on the disk from there.
The problem of getting to the ok-prompt can be solved with a remount as shown above (or a STOP+A as dandan123 explanes).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back