Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ending processes from DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

FergADT

MIS
Dec 30, 2002
US
Is there a command in the W98 DOS environment similar to the "kill" command in NT/W2K to end a running process? I've got a few hundred workstations with different user groups on them and I use a small program to keep the more restricted users from opening Explorer, etc - unfortunately, when the less restricted users log in the process is still running even though it has been removed from the run command (if explorer is restarted either via re-login, restart, or CTRL+ALT+DEL the program stops running, but...)

I have one that works much like it does in Windows 2K/XP. I will get the name of it and find you a URL to get it from when I get home.

Cheers!

JrBarnett - Unfortunately, I need to include it in a batch file and be able to call it from DOS, but thanks for the info...

Edemiere - Sounds good - thanks in advance for any help you can offer...

It's called pview95 (though it works in 98 too) and it was developed and released by Microsoft much like the regclean.exe program.

I found one on the net that seemed virus free, though I lay no guarantees.

Give that a shot and see if it meets your needs.

Good luck!

PVIEW is a Windows application, it will not run under DOS.

Unfortunately, TopHat2 is right... I've still continued to look for another app that will run in DOS if anyone knows of one...

There is a dos Kill utility on:-
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/diagnose/
Usage: KILL [options] < <pid > | < pattern> >

[options]
/? this help file

/f Force process kill
The pattern can be a complete task name or a regular expression pattern
to use as a match. Kill matches the supplied pattern against the task
name and the window title.

Can be either a complete process name, or an expression using wildcards that will be compared to the process names and window titles of all current processes. For example,
typing kill *help* will end all processes with process names or window titles that contain
&quot;help&quot;.
Also a utility that gives the pids TLIST.EXE

Hope it might be of some use, works for me on win98se (DOS)

Well, I did state that it was like killing processes in 2K :)

I just figured if you got one that would run in the 9X interface like it does in 2K, then there isn't really any need to run one in DOS.

*shrugs*

Hasta

Thanks edemiere - not a problem - I wanted to kill a process from within a batch file...

DucatiST2 - I'll give that one a try.. thanks again!

Apologies, I only tried the program under Windows DOS, and it doesn’t work under native DOS.
All is not lost though, I am presuming that your program will be a TSR as such you can utilise a couple of old DOS programs “MARK” and RELEASE
First run MARK, then your TSR. When you want to remove your programme just run release.
One download source for these utils is:-
TSRCOM.ZIP or TSRCOM34.ZIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back