Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ending a Session

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpar

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2002
US
I have a general knowledge question, please. My boss usually handles all the Citrix Boxes. (5 in our farm all on Windows 2000. 2 have SP2 and 2 have sp4; MetaFrame XP v1,0 build 1360 sp2). He is just freaking out and I feel the need to get him some help so here's my question. Please keep in mind that I have VERY limited experience with Citrix and its wily ways...
Bossman says that when a user closes an app within the neighborhood that the server console should show that session as disconnected and drop it. He says instead that the sessions stay active and just keep piling up and never reset until the server is rebooted. Seems to me that the user should be trained how to choose "logoff" from their client as this disconnects them from the server but Bossman says no, it's a metaframe problem. What do you think?
Thanks.
Laura

It will only reset disconnect if you tell it to. In MFCONFIG or User manager or active directory.

Yes they should be trained to logoff properly !

[blue]Arguably the best cat skinner around ! [/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Reset disconnect is one thing (I think). But these users never show up in the citrix management console as disconnected. Their sessions remain active even after they have closed their apps and citrix neighborhood.

I have seen this with outlook, you could set them to timeout on idle. After an hour say.

Cheers
Scott

Yeah- they are set up to do that. I'm just curious as to whether they are supposed to show that they are disconnected (as opposed to remaining active)when the user closes out of the application they are using. If not then Bossman is barking up the wrong tree.

If they don't finish all the apps they are using then it will stay active. If they finish all cleanly then they should just dissappear, not go to disconnect. Many users make the mistake of mistaking disconnect for logout/off. You have to explain to them that disconnect is bad and logout/off is good. A ball pane hammer in the training room makes the point[wink].

Cheers
Scott

Excellent point! Sadly and remarkably there is no training for the users nor the helpdesk folks. So everyone's winging it and we wonder why things break. I mean if users can't grasp the concept of mapped drives how will they ever figure out logoff?
Thanks for your responses. I truly appreciate them. I do believe you are right and user/admin error is firmly to blame here! Now I just have to break the news to Bossman and watch his head explode (ok, that might be fun for a minute).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back