Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Endian vs. Smoothwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

derajer

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2005
US
I know that there is a proxy forum here, but it seems to be deserted. So I am coming here.

Has anyone ever used Smoothwall or Endian as for Firewall and Web Proxy? I am trying to convince my superiors that we need to implement a firewall/web proxy for our company. You'd think after being right about Inventory, SPAM Filtering, and automated backup procedures they would listen to me, but no such luck. Anyway, due to the fact that I have no budget I need to use a software based solution and it has to be free. I have pretty much narrowed it down to Smoothwall or Endian and I am looking for some input.

Hi Derajer,

I've used smoothwall in the past and found it easy to install and configure (install is an ISO that installs directly onto the box with the OS & Software).

If your not pushing much traffic across it and your willing to buy from Ebay then a Cisco Pix 501 might be a good option and be a similar price (£300 new in the UK so ebay will be around £150-200 if you can get a good deal).

I wish someone would just call me Sir, without adding 'Your making a scene'.

Rob

Thanks, I actually just setup a Smoothwall today. The system isn't running "live" yet, but hopefully it will be soon. I do have a Cisco Pix 501, but it is running a separate VPN tunnel. I don't particularly care for them anyway, they don't have all of the proxy features I would like to have.

derajer,

I use a router called Mikrotik. It's not free but around $45 dollars. It is the best router I have used. You should check it out even if you don't use it. I have used Smoothwall and found it limited and not easy to configure on all hardware. You may download and use a free version for a limited time. The link is " Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back