Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

end of column in table in InDesign CS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

worrywort

Technical User
May 15, 2009
CA
I have an insert that has 6 columns of type. It contains a table that is so deep it takes up 3 columns. The table did not break at a good spot so I put in an "end of column" (the "enter" key to right of keypad). Now the client has added 4 more lines to the table and, of course, the column break I made no longer works. I need to adjust for these 4 extra lines. I need to remove the "end of column" ... but I can't find it! I've tried putting the cursor at the start of the table and using the "forward delete" key but instead of removing the "end of column", the whole table disappears. If I move the cursor to the end of the table and use the "backward delete" key the table disappears again. I have tried moving the table onto the pasteboard and marrying up all 3 columns into 1 continuous long column but that "end of column" is still there. I have tried using "find/change" for "column break" and also just searching for the carat character but nothing is found. How do I remove that "end of column"???

Is the end of column mark visible if you have chosen to show hidden characters?

Type menu->Show Hidden Characters

Hidden characters are showing. I can see the line endings, space bands, etc. I cannot see the end of column in the table.
Please note -- If I place "end of column" (hereafter called "EOC") in text area the carat is visible. If I use it in the table, I cannot see "EOC".
I tried placing another "EOC" elsewhere in the table. The carat is not visible. I then used "backward delete" to get rid of "EOC". That didn't work. The table stayed in next column. It did not delete "EOC".
However, if I use "EOC" in text and then use "backward delete", it works. "EOC" is deleted and text reverts back to previous column.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back