Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Encyclopedia reads from cd drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonman

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2001
GB
Hi
I have installed a encyclopedia from a cd, what I really want to do is to put the whole cd on the hard disk and use that when running the program, I have plenty of space etc.. This would enable me to listen to cd's etc.. when doing some research.
I have checked all the .ini files for links to the info on the cd drive, but there is none, I have also checked the regestry and unless am missing something, couldn't find anything there either.
Does anyone know of a way of doing this?
Cheers

I can physically copy the cd to the hard disk, but the program won't recognise that its their and still asks for the cd, what I want to know is how to redirect the program to look on the hard disc for the information.

When the program asks for the CD you should be able to browse to the folder yuo have installed the info in on your hard drive.

I knew I should have put that on the last post! There is not browse option, it literally asks for the cd only.

Try uninstalling the program, copying the entire cd contents to the desired location on your hard drive, and then run the setup.exe from the location you copied the cd to.

Is it actually possible - I don't know which vendor your software is from, but MS flight sim 2000 for example requires you insert the CD not for the data, but as an anti piracy measure.

Maybe unless you can find a crack, it won't work.

If it's encarta encyclopedia, the solution I described will work. If it's not encarta it'll probably still work.

In some cases with software like that the company does not make it to where you can install everything to the hard disk. You can only install in your case the encyclopedia on your hard disk, but when you run it it will still look for some stuff from the cd. So it might be to where you cann't do what you are wanting to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back