Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

encrytion data

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmidxa

IS-IT--Management
Apr 23, 2002
DE
Hello,

we have Arcserve 2000 on several NT servers installed.
Now we want to encrypt the data when we store them on the tape.

We have seen there are 2 options:
1. session password: that is working
2. encrypt data before backup: unfortunately we can't mark this option.
Do we need something (add on software) in order to be able to use this feature or how can we use it ?

regards

Xaver

Has anyone solved this as we have the same problem.

CA Support have suggested that 128 Encyption SP needs to be running on the client server - but we have tried this without success. My call is still open so if I sort it I shall post here.

In the menatime if anyone has any ideas then please let me know.

Cheers, Andy.

I heard back from CA and apparently its only available on certain editions. More particularly it seems to be something to do with the export laws in the US surrounding 128 bit encryption. i.e. it;s available in the US and Canada but not EMEA. There are ways round this.

It was suggested to me to go through the purchasing channels to get the necessary version of the software. It may be that it has to authorised at some level, which means someone with enough clout has to say we need it for this, I guess.

I have exactly the same problem on a Windows NT 4.0 SP6 server running ARCServe 2000 - the encrypt files option is greyed out. However, at my other site I have a Windows 2000 SP3 server with BrightStor ARCServe Backup version 9 which does have the option to encrypt files. In version 9 the encryption is CA's own Velocis 40-bit encryption - don't know what it would be in ARCServe 2000. Sorry, this is not much help but as ARCServe 2000 is out of support now maybe it is a good time to upgrade to W2K and ARCSErve version 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back