Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaiHawkins

Technical User
May 24, 2007
US
Hi I am running NW 7.2.1 on Server 2003.

Does anyone know if it is possible to Encrypt Tapes after data has been written to the tape, without losing the Data on the tape? - personally I cant see this being possible, but thought I'd ask the question.

I have heard that there encryption hardware exists which needs to be installed at an ordinary SCSI device. If you clone the data to such a device, i think it will be possible.

Yes, I confirm...

We've had (before NW 7.3...) a black-box called 'paranoïa' ( which was a 'man-in-the-middle' between NW and drive.

This box was connected thru scsi and offered 'strong' hardware encryption, by the way of a chip and a password.

In this case, all data was encrypted (even tape label), and the tape was not readable on other drives.

So you can install this box before a drive and clone your tape to a pool which use this 'encrypted' drive...

Hope this helps.

LTO4 drives have inbuilt encryption hardware, which needs an external keymanager (IBM EKM or similar). It's not simple to use, but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back