Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Encrypting Values (passwords etc) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NattyCat

MIS
Aug 9, 2004
GB
I'm using Crystal 9, against SQL Server 7.

I am creating a report which shows instances of failed user logins, which is reporting against our system's Audit Trail Log.

I have one field called "Input" which has a long sequence of data, which I have stripped out into individual fields.

The Data within the Input field originally looks like:

<CONNECT CONTEXTBUSINESSUNITID=0" CONTEXTUSERID="0" CONTEXTLOGINID="0" CONTEXTUSERNAME=""><USERNAME>cafosprey</USERNAME><PASSWORD>caf012i</PASSWORD><BUSINESSUNITNAME/><WORKSTATION>2787CAF</WORKSTATION></CONNECT>"

I have now stripped this data into the following:

UserName Password Workstation
cafosprey caf012i 2787CAF

I now need to encrypt the password to show **** instead of the actual password, but the length of the **** has to match the number of characters returned by the password field.

Any ideas?

Also, I'm still having a problem with the "bad date format string" error that I posted yesterday, can anyone rack their brains for an answer....I know it's Friday, but I promise to buy you a beer if you help out with that one!!!

Thanks

Natasha

Use:

Replace(Space(Len("caf012i")),' ','*')

replacing the item in bold with your real field.

Reebo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back