Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

encrypting online forms with PGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigger

Programmer
Jul 23, 2001
GB
I'm unsure which version of PGP I need to download so I can encrypt online forms once they are sent by the users, can anyone advise me please. thanks

We are using Windows 2K and have downloaded the latest ver of the software. However there is an unpublished install you must do to get it to work properly. I think I have it in my Note somewhere..

---------------------------------------------------
File Permissions

Probably the easiest way to get PGP running under ASP and ASPTools (ASPPGP) is to change the file permissions on some of the critical files. This way the PGP original installation will work with ASPPGP. If this is not acceptable, then you will need to use the techniques in the next section (Relocating the PGP Data Files) to solve the problem. The file PGPsdk.dat or PGPSDK.pfr contains the locations of the public and private keyrings as well as the location of the Random Seed File. When PGP is first installed the permissions on all these files are set depending on who installed the programme. Under ASP extended permissions are required, therefore you can change the permissions, or copy the PGPSDK.DAT files as described in the next section, to a location that is has the appropriate file permissions.
To change the file permissions, locate the following files, PGPSDK.DAT or PGPSDK.PFR, the Keyrings (pubring, secring), and the randseed.rnd files. These files are located as follows:

PGPSDK.DAT and PGPSKD.PFR are normally in the WINNT or WINNT/SYSTEM32 directory
The radnseed.rnd file is normally in the WINNT or WINNT/SYSTEM32 directory
The pubring and secring files are normally in the program files directory, eg "C:\program files\network associates\pgpkeyrings...etc
For each of the files above change their permissions to Everyone (Read and Write).

Some pointers, if you receive a "file not found" (Error number -11997), this means PGP can't find the PGPSDK.DAT files. If your receive a "file permissions" (Error number -11995) this means PGP does not have sufficient file permissions to complete the operation, this is fixed as described above.

Back to the top

Windows NT

The critical file is called PGPsdk.dat. This points to the directory where PGPSDK can find the key-rings. If the PGPSDK can't find this .dat file or can't find the key-rings in this directory it gives "file not found" (Error number -11997) message.
The problem is caused because ASP and the PGPSDK use the Default User path to look for PGPsdk.dat file. The easiest way to fix this is to just copy PGPsdk.dat from the path where it is normally installed to the Default User path under NT. For example first find the PGPsdk.dat file and then,

COPY FILE: c:\winnt\profiles\Administrator\application data\pgp\PGPsdk.dat
TO LOCATION: c:\winnt\profiles\default user\application data\pgp\PGPsdk.dat.

Note, "Administrator" may not always be the name of the folder

This should fix the "File not found problem". as PGPSDK will now be able to find the PGPsdk.dat file and will know where to find the keyrings etc. . Another point of interest is that if the .dat file doesn't exist it creates one with the default key-ring directory being C:\WINNT\Profiles\Default User\Application Data\PGP\pubring.pkr.

Also, if your application will be a service you will need to take extra steps. SPGP and other libraries used by services will be run by the system, not the administrator or any specific user, so you must provide default key-rings. If you have PGP installed on the target machine, you should find the rings (along with miscellaneous data files) here:
\WINNT\Profiles\[UserName]\Application Data\PGP

You must copy all the files to this directory:
\WINNT\Profiles\Default User\Application Data\PGP

Back to the top

Windows 2000

The critical file is called PGPsdk.dat. This points to the directory where the key-rings reside. If the system can't find this .dat file or cant find the key-rings in this directory it gives "file not found" (Error number -11997) message.

Here is what can happen when you install PGP, say as Administrator or user, PGP will put the PGPSDK.DAT and other files into a directory C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\PGP. Now the problem here is that PGP may hide the folder. So you need to unhide the folder and then copy the folder (and its contents) ....\PGP\PGPSDK.DAT to C:\Documents and Settings\Default User.WINNT\Application Data\PGP. That should fix any problems you are having with PGPASP under Windows 2000

Back to the top

---------------------------------------------------

Eric Repec.

Eric Repec
eric@ericrepec.com
If its not broke try it make it faster.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back