Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Encrypting an Excel file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiggertoo

MIS
May 28, 2003
US
Is there something besides the password option to protect an excel file with sensitive data. This needs to be emailed but I'm very concerned about security risk.

I haven't logged onto Tek-Tips for a while (major job change) but I've always gotten great response from you guys.

You could encrypt the email using something like PGP or GPG

Current versions of PKZip/SecureZip integrate with Outlook to automagically compress and optionally encrypt email attachments. See
There might be other commercial solutions, too, but the automatic part (compress/encrypt without thinking about it) could be worth it to your organization if it saves sending the file in the clear just once.

WinZip offer an outlook add in for bout $20 with an encription and password option - available as a trial as well.
James

Tiggertoo,

Here is a totally free option. It is an old piece of software but should get the job done for you. Make sure you keep an original on your computer and encrypt a copy.

I am not sure if there is a craker available for this prodcut yet or not. I have seen a free McAfee and WinZip cracker already.

If you want compression and a free soltuion go to 7ZIP.org. Great program and free encryption. Have not seen a crack for this either.

Hope this helps.

John

Thanks for all the info. I know that lots of companies block .zip files due to the possibility of viruses. Some of the tools available only work thru Outlook which we don't use. I'll check out all your suggestions. Appreciate all the help.

Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back