Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enclosure to prevent people from unplugging phone cords

Status
Not open for further replies.

echang2

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2003
US
Hi,

This is a little unusual, but I have people who are unplugging telephone cords from the wall. Of course, once the phone is unplugged over night, I have to reprogram the phone. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Ideally, I would like a clear, locking, surface mounted enclosure similar to the ones you find in offices to protect the thermostat. Of course, this one would need to be smaller and allow cords to pass out of the enclosure to the phone.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ed

Do you mean that the phones disable overnight. If so LD 30 can be removed from the midnight routine so that if someone does unplug a phone then the port will not disable. Let me know if you require more information in removing LD 30 from the midnights.

An easier solution could be what I've seen at some hotels. On the modular plug, cut the retaining clip in half, with it unplugged. Now, when you plug it back in, you cannot remove it with your hand - you need a small, slot bladed screwdriver. It may be a little tricky at first, but this I feel is the cheapest (free) and easiest solution.

i have refused to remove ld 30 from the drol, due to the background traffic it causes, after a few months worth of disconected sets, the switch has the problem of doing an ini with the mov or copy command. had an 81c that would ini with the new 23 command in ld 14.. i've never seen one that required rebuilding the set, just enlu x x tends to bring it back up.. clipping the cord does work and they make a cord with a tab built for hotel security, does about the same thing.. i solved that problem by leaving the station down for 24 to 48 hours... people learn slow, but they learn.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I'm with John on this. Leave LD30 in, and follow your normal response times, when tickets are called in. Sooner or later, people will take heed to this action, that some sort of posting/notification will be handed out to prevent these issues.

Due to cleaning people I have had several instances where, at the customers request, have removed LD 30. I have never had the INI trouble, but I never use the CPY or MOV commands.

right, i feel that you have to chose between certain cammands and maint, i lean toward cleaner maint, and far less background traffic.. i've seen to many postings that swear you can't use cpy or mov, if you've got ava ram, it's not a problem.. with a 50 station daisy chain mov, it's just way eaiser to mov in the software

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am going to leave LD30 enabled. I'll just enable the phones later than usual. ;) Still, I would like an enclosure type of solution if someone knows of such a product.

Ed

There is a product called a Mod lock that will do what phannah suggested, but also allow you to remove it and uplug the cord without damaging the jack or using a screwdriver to get the plug out. I have used these in grocery store locations where people would walk off with a 2500 set. The unit requires wire cutters or snips in order to remove the lock. Not a guarantee, but it certainly take more effort then just unplugging the set. Here is a link for the products:
Hope this helps,

Scott M.

super glue, or break a couple of fingers

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

PERSONALLY I LIKE THE SUPER GLUE, IF YOU CHANGE CORD YOU CHANGE JACK

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS

if you cut the end of the clip on the rj11 plug [there is a ridge] then it makes it harder to unplug

where would telcom be without superglue and duct tape?

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back