Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enabling serial interfaces in a Cisco 2504

Status
Not open for further replies.

cre8orrr

Technical User
May 6, 2002
AU
Hi All,

I've recently got 2504i router and already regret. It has software disabled serail interfaces and therefore for me is useless. It has physical serial ports but i cannot use them. Is it posible to enable these ports with the current IOS installed or i need to upgrade the IOS. I dont know how to upgrade the IOS because this is Token ring router and doesnt have eth ports. Anyone any ideas????

what version of IOS is the router running? If you could pls post the output of the command : "show version"

Sorry, i am still a newbie. I have erased the startup-config and then i could see all the interfaces. It was probably disabled by the people who used the router before me and i thought it was automatically disabled by the IOS.

You said you have a 2504I, this router is a mission specific router, and has the serial interfaces software disabled. The only thing you can use this router for is token ring on the LAN side, and ISDN BRI on the WAN side..

BuckWeet

Hi gyus,

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that when i erased the startup-config the problem was fixed.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back