Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enabling printer selection button in Crystal 8-8.5 viewer within VB6

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlevasseur

Programmer
May 19, 2000
US
I have just completed upgrading a large application to remove the old .ocx Crystal viewer control with the new crviewer.dll using RDC. I got it to finally work (sorta), but users would like to have the printer selection icon enabled.

As it stands now, the reports will go to the printer defined in the Crystal report, or if the user does not have that printer in their defined printers, it defaults to their default printer. In many cases the report "must" go to a selected printer. I also noticed that even though I enable the close button on the viewer, it remains grayed out

I hope there's a simple selection for this.

Thanks Ray

Check out faq149-346 in the Crystal Decisions: Crystal Reports 4 Other Topics (Faq 2a)

Mark

Thanks for the tip. I was afraid of that. It seems each time they make something more flexible (or improved), it's orders of magnitude more difficult to implement. I have never gotten involved in windows api programming, and to be honest, don't have a clue how to do it.

At least with the old ocx control, the printer selection icon was there and available. If it wasn't for all the pain I went through trying to get the old viewer to work with Crystal 8.5, I would have left it in the project.

I'll just cross my fingers that the default printer in report is in users printer list and that it is never down.

Ray, not a software engineer by any stretch of the imagination. Bring back the VAX/Mainframe days any time

Just a quick update. I did manage to find a wuick and rather painelss solution to my printer sepection problem with Crystal 8.5 and VB. There was some sample code in about.com for reading list of instlalled printers using ole automation reference. I get current printer name, driver, port and page orientation from report, then get array of same data from printers collection.

If another printer is selected I do a call to the printer selection method on crystal. It all works quite well, users are happy

Thanks again, Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back