Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enabling hosts for "r" command usage 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

powahusr

Technical User
Jan 22, 2001
US
I have 2 Linux Redhat 6.2 workstations networked at my home, each system is pingable. I would like to use the “r” commands (rcp, rlogin, rsh) for interhost operations. What must I do in order to prepare these hosts for that activity? These systems are coming off of a fresh install.

Don't do it! There are other, more secure ways to do what you're doing. The r commands are very dated, and very vulnerable. What exactly do you need them for?

Otherwise, I believe that they come configured to run, no?

MWB. As always, I hope that helped!

Disclaimer:
Beware: Studies have shown that research causes cancer in lab rats.

I have just 2 systems that are networked in my house, through Cat5 cabling and a Hub. I intend on setting up a practice lab to learn more about Linux. There’s really no particular reason why I’m using the "r" commands other than just for the sake of learning them. Eventually I will cycle through the other commands to interact with the remote system using utilities such as Telnet, and FTP. I haven't made my way there with them yet. The problem is that the remote host is refusing the connection. This not only happens with the "r" commands but I tried using telnet too, and got refused. I am able to ping each system remotely, so I don’t believe there is a network connectivity problem. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

If you go to and download the ssh2 package, you can have a secure equivalent of telnet and the "r" stuff. (Yes, along with terminal login sessions, ssh also lets you simply execute commands and view output remotely)

Review your /etc/inetd.conf file, /etc/hosts, and /etc/services. In /etc/services look for the names of the services you are trying to use and make sure they are uncommented and useable. Then to learn how to use "rcp" (for instance) just type "man rcp", you will have to create a ".rhosts" file in your home directory and chown it 600 to make it work. I caution you though, if you are going to connect these two boxes to external sources (the internet, etc..) do not use these services and remove your .rhosts files and just use ssh2 as suggested above. As a matter of fact you should just start setting up and using ssh2 altogether and forget these "r" commands even exist. But with the setup you do have you can experiment with NFS, NIS, Kerberos, etc... and you will learn quite a bit. You might also investigate database creation and manipulation with mysql running on one machine and the other machine making database requests. Lots of possiblities. d3funct
borg@pcgeek.net
The software required `Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

I Reviewed the /etc/hosts, and /etc/services files and everything checked out ok, but I could not locate the /etc/inetd.conf file on my system. Any suggestions? Thanks

In /etc/hosts of both linux machines should have IP and hostname of other machine.

Example:
in /etc/hosts of machine1:

128.142.233.12 machine2.something.com machine2

in /etc/hosts of machine2:

128.142.233.13 machine1.something.com machine1

you can install ssh1 from and use 'slogin' to secure login to other machine:
slogin -l yourloginname machine2

Hope that helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor