Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enabling Exchange Archive results in 5.4.6 Non Delivery Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshT976

Technical User
May 1, 2003
US
I recently installed GFI Mail Archive on the same server as my Exchange Server.

I have created a new User in Active Directory Users and Computers named "Mail Archive"

In Exchange Systems Manager I have enabled the Archive Feature and am using the Mail Archive email box.

Whenever an email is sent externally, or received externally I recieve the below NDR:

A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients. Contact your administrator.

The application Event Viewer on the Exchange Server shows the following:
Event ID 3020
Source: MSExchangeTransport
Category: NDR

A non-delivery report with a status code of 5.4.6 was generated for recipient.

Cause: A forward loop was detected by the categorizer. This is a common hosting configuration problem caused when someone uses the provisioning tool to create a contact in one organization unit and creates a user in a different organization user that share the same e-mail address.
Solution: Verify that you do not have a user in organizational unit and a contact in a different organizational unit that have the same e-mail address.

Googling this alert results in fixes for a two exchange server system. I only have 1 so am confused why I am receiving these NDRs

On a side note: The Mail Archive program is functioning perfectly. Exchange Server just generates the NDRs for the external emails.

Any idea's where to start? Please let me know what additional information is needed?

I think I found my answer:

Question:
Why do I receive a looping NDR 5.4.6 when I send e-mail to users and to the journal recipient?

Answer:
This is expected. The journal recipient does not receive e-mail typically like other users. The journal recipient must be hidden from the Global Address List. During categorization, the journal copy should be bifurcated from the beginning of the envelope chain. When the journal recipient is listed first on the list, the categorizer detects a potential loop and then generates an NDR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back