Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enable VoIP on existing Extension ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alankitco

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2005
US
I have a VoIP ext working correctly (internal and externally) but it has it's own extension.
Our CEO would like to use the VoIP on the road but how can I configure such that his extension is the one. Manager will not let me configure his extension to be VoIP enabled (no tab)
Thanks
Alan Andrews

Add coverage or bridged appearances on his VoIP extension for his digital desk phone. That way he can still receive incoming calls for his digital desk phone when he is using the Voip extension. And this is automatic for him once its set up. CEO's, presidents and such like simple things that they dont have to remember or monkey around with, it will just work without him putting any thought into it.

Superjenks
I'm somewhat noviced at this level of IPO. Thus not fully understanding your explanation.
CEO has an Ext that is hard config'd so to speak in Manager to one of the digital ports. There is No option tab on this ext to add anything VoIP. Therefore I have a separate VoIP ext. So he logs into VoIP ext once his VPN is running then dials say another internal ext (alebit from a hotel room) his extension obviously appears as the VoIP ext not his regular one. It's not a biggy, but it would be better to have his extension appear same as when he is digital.
Not sure about coverage and bridging. This is grey area for me.
Thanks
Alan

A quick fix to this would be to get him an IP phone for his office as well... then he can do what is called Hot Desking.

Hot desking allows him the ability to log into his desk phone when he is in the office, with all of his settings and access to his voicemail, etc. THEN when he travels and logs into the system with his IP Phone on the road it will log him out of the phone at his office and log him in to the IP Phone on the road... Just like he was in the office, his extension, buttons, voicemail, etc.

Just to clarify... He will have 2 seperate phones, 1 desk, 1 for travel.

I'm going to check out the bridging that is mentioned above on to a digital phone, as that would be a neat feature... but not sure we have set anyone up like that before. Have to check...

Hope this helps

Tekcetera Support

You cant have a digital station and a Voip station share the same extension number. It wont allow you to do that. So, you can add buttons under button programming for the Voip user to have coverage buttons for his digital phone. This will allow calls ringing on his digital phone to ring on his Voip extension at the same time.

>Go to Voip user configuration in manager
>Go to button programming tab
>Find a blank button space
>In the action field, right click, goto appearances, click on coverage appearance.
>Right click on action data field, use drop down box and select the CEO's digital user.
>Finally, U can add the label of what you want to see when the coverage button rings.
>Save your changes by uploading the configuration back to the IPO. Done

BTW, im assuming you are running on software lvl 3.2.xx or 4.0.xx You can do the same in 3.1.xx or 3.0.xx but the procedure is a little different but works the same basically.

Tekceters solution will also work, hot desking is not needed though. when he logs into another existing Voip station, it will unregister the existing phone and log remote phone with the same extension. I did not mention this because you said he has a digital at his desk. This will possibly require you to reconfigure your network a bit depending on how it is set up now, and you will obviously have to purchase another IP phone which are not cheap. The easiest and cheapest solution is the one I already layed out for you. Digital sets are more reliable and better sound quality too. Digital sets also are not at the mercy of the data/voice network if there is a problem with it.

Thanks for the clear advice on ALL threads here.
Appreciated!
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back