Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enable the numlock key 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanone

Technical User
Oct 15, 2001
US
Hello:
I am using a Dell Latitude laptop with Win98. I am connecting it to a monitor and a Dell keyboard.
Is there anyway that I can enable the numlock on a Dell keyboard so that everytime I start my computer the numlock key is alway on?
Right now, I have to press to turn the numlock on (because my password contains the numbers).
I know in Windows 2000 Pro., you can enable that by modify the registry. I always check the BIOS and cannot enable it by using the BIOS.
I appreciate any help.
Thank you very much.

It should definately be in the Dell's bios. Somewhere on page 2 of the system settings between Pointing Device and Keyboard Clicks.

If you cannot find....

Here's how to do with a logon script:

Here's Windows NT:Windows NT Num-Lock State

1) Run the Registry Editor - REGEDT32.EXE.
2) Go to HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard
3) Change the value for Initial KeyboardIndicators from 0 to 2.

From Lockergnome, I believe:

To have the NumLock key turned ON or OFF upon Win95/98 startup, open Regedit
and go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Microsoft\Input Devices
Double-click on Input Devices, then click New, then Key. Name the new key
Keyboard. Highlight Keyboard, right-click on it, then click New and choose String Value. Type in NumLock and click OK. Then right-click on NumLock and click Modify. Type ON to turn the NumLock key on, or OFF to turn it off. Now close Regedit and then press F5, after left-clicking your mouse on an empty area on your Desktop, so the change can take effect.
If you are using a Config.sys file to boot up, you can also choose to turn your NumLock key OFF by adding this line in your Config.sys (edit it with Notepad or Sysedit):
NUMLOCK=OFF
Save your file and then reboot.

reghakr

Hi:
I connect the Dell Laptop to the Dock, and the keyboard is connected from the back of the dock. Now, the numlock on the keyboard is still not ON (eventhought I did what reghakr mentioned above)when I boot up the computer.
I check the registry and have a numlock with the string value is ON.
Does anybody have any ideas?
I really appreciated.
Thank you
Kev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back