Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enable Search in Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul8811

MIS
May 20, 2003
US
For some reason (that nobody at my place knows!!) the Explorer Search is disabled, the button is there but nothing happens when clicked. I am guessing this is some kind of registry amendment but struggling to find an answer anwhere??

GO done to the taskbar on the IE window right click on the taskbar. You should be able to turn on and off any button.

Sorry I think you misunderstand the question. In Explorer (NOT Internet explorer) they are unable to search. The search button is there but nothing happens when clicked.

The remarkable Kelly Theriot discusses this issue; while written in an XP context the advice is sound under Windows 2000: "Why doesn't Search Work?"
If you could, please run IEFix. I understand that IE sounds like it has nothing to do with Windows Explorer, but I want to make sure that critical DLL files are registered properly:
(IEFix is by the equally remarkable Ramesh, MS-MVP)

found it...was a reg key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

delete the key called "NoFind"

Cheers anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back