Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enable CTI Feature Sets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudecrush

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2007
US

My boss is getting ticked off. He wants to create a CTI link in our Definity to talk with a 3rd-party server which, in turn, speaks to a softphone. The end-game is to have the presence "jelly-bean" in a soft-phone indicate red (off-hook) and green (on-hook).

I have the ASAI and Lan Gateway feature sets, but Avaya won't turn it on because they want us to purchase AES instead. Unfortunately, that is WAY outside our budget ($5k or less). I'm a super-user in our Definity, but I cannot enable the feature sets. Aside from having the craft-level passwords, does anyone know of a way to "fake-out" the Definity to enable the feature sets?

Should I take a different approach? Is there anyway to pass on-hook / off-hook information out of a Defninity without enabling CTI?

Any help would be appreciated.

Avaya stopped supporting the older CTI Servers last year. They are in a big push to sell you AES and all the bells and whistles.

Do you have any CTI software? Such as the avaya tSErver or someother product?

Or did you plan on writting something yourself in ASAI or CVLAN?

Also... Do you have a mapd card on the PBX to handle the cvlan, taspi, asai traffic you plan to send/read?

==Zow

Zowwie438;

We don't have any CTI software, other than the feature sets which relate to it. Also, we don't have a MAPD card, but I found a vendor who has a used one they could sell us. As far as "writing" something, I'd have config docs from Genesys (the manufactuer of the 3rd party server) to show me how to set it up.

Eric,

You say you have the feature sets on your switch but they are not enabled, I assume you mean they show up in the customer options but are set to "N". Enabling the LAN Gateway & ASAI has to be done by Avaya and the cost would be prohibitive.

AES can be had for just around $5K with the user responsible for installation/etc. There might be some PSO time required. A business partner would be happy to quote it for you. They would also tell you what if anything else you need on your switch to get the CTI info.

jfh9219,

You are correct about the feature sets: They are set to "N" in customer options. And what you said is what I've run into: They have to be enabled by Avaya. Our business partner basically said they can't do it for us because Avaya won't let them....even if we just want to experiment and don't care if its supported.

When we quoted out AES with a business partner, we also discovered that we needed an upgrade to our Communication Manager version, too. Plus there were additional hardware items that pushed the cost well past $5k. Hence the need for circumventing AES.

Avaya can/will turn the options on, you just need to pay big $$$$$$$$$ to Avaya as with any feature licensing. Those feature option prices wont be any less than AES depending on the size of your system so there is really no sense beating that dead horse.

-CL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back