Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

enable communication between Two different lans (subnets)/ domains 2k3

Status
Not open for further replies.

markm75

IS-IT--Management
Oct 12, 2006
US
I have our production lan that is on 192.168.100.x.. this is a 2003 server domain, with a DHCP server running on one of the 2003 boxes.

I also have a development test lan that is 192.168.227.x.. this too is a 2003 domain with a DHCP server running on one of the 2003 boxes there.

I want to be able to share resources between the 2.. ie: if i'm a box on 227.x.. i want to be able to either say \\192.168.100.2\apps or \\servername\apps..

I've tried setting up RAS servers on both ends.. then setting static routes between them..

I've also tried adding the 100.x gateway as a secondary gateway on the one 227.x server, but this didnt work either...

One thing to note.. the 227.x lan is actually run completely on my Vista machine under Vmware Workstation 6.x I have the servers set to "bridged mode" (there is also nat mode, which uses the same ip as the host OS, or host only mode, which completely isolates the guest from the host).

Ultimately too, I'd like to have someone running vmware on their machine, to create say an XP virtual machine and join the test domain that is running from my machine.

I dont think the issue is VMware related.. I think i'm just missing a step in RAS (if ras is even needed) or somewhere else (maybe demand dialing between the two ras servers if needed?)?

One key thing i was worried about was the fact i have a dhcp server on both domains.. as i only want dhcp requests in the wild to be processed by the 100.x server, so i'm guessing i'd have to turn off the dhcp server on the test domain.

Thanks for any tips

So, you have two LANs both with a Windows server in them. You need to enable RRAS on both of them. On the first server, create a Demand Dial Interface to the second server, have it permanantly up. Do the same with the other server. Enable NAT on the demand dial interfaces on both servers. You might need to manually add the NAT protocol to RRAS beforehand. All you got to do now is tell the worsktations on the one subnet how to find the guys on the other by adding a permanent route to their routing tables using the following command:

route add /p 192.168.100.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.100.1, this is assuming that the Windows 2k3 server on the 192.168.100.x LAN has IP address 192.168.100.1.

Do the same on the other LAN. Should work out fine.

Do I need to create a second nic card in one of my servers in my test LAN.. and set that ip to an ip in the production lan?

I've done this.. i can ping the production lan just fine.. but I cant ping the test lan..

I tried your suggestion at setting up demain dial interfaces.. I tried doing this on the test side.. pointing to my ras server on the production side.. but they never connect, but the ip address is pingable from the test side of course.

I have also tried putting in static routes on both ends for each RAS server settings.. but this hasnt helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back