Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Emulate Nortel Park with IP Office 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitelD

Vendor
Mar 21, 2006
US
All of us former Nortel people have had issues with this. I have tried several ways and now have a customer that did not like our options we gave them. So here is the closest that I have found yet.

On the main operators phone I put park keys. I created a shortcode of *101>Call Park>Telephone number is left blank. I created one for *102 as well.

Then I created a shortcode of #101>Unpark>*101. I did the same for 102.

This way the operator presses either Park 101 or Park 102. The employee then picks up the Nortel phone and presses either #101 or #102.

I also created a shortcode of *741 and *742>Call Park>*101 and *102. This way a phone can put a call on 101 or 102.

This seems to work best for this customer. It will not fit all.
Just thought I would share.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)
NCSS, ATSP/IP

This was really helpful but didn't quite work for me, maybe because i'm on 8.1 or because i'm using all 9508 Avaya sets with no Norstar.

Here is how I accomplished the above:

Create Shortcode > *101>Call Park>*101 under Telephone Number
Create Shortcode > #101>Unpark Call>*101 under Telephone Number

Almost the same, but not quite. Works like a charm! Thanks for the great info, a star for you good sir.

How hard this is, the IPO is not a Nortel and i really do not understand the problem to be honest.
There are just two categories, one that love the change and one that hate the change.
It is up to you to convince the customer.
That they do not want to change is human behavior but sometimes change is needed.
How this changes is brought to the customer is a part of your job and of the sales guys.
Yesterday i placed the last of a four site IPO and they love it.
Only one out the four are having a problem with it but that is the way it is.
Sometimes it takes just a bit of time before they will learn and see the advantages of the new system.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Agreed.
When that same customer upgrades to a new version of outlook, does microsoft change make mods to the new version so it behaves liek the old version? No. The customers conform to the new changes.

Same rings true for the telephone system, from a different manufacturer.

but if you went with an Emetrotel UCx, you would be able to park calls the exact same way as you do on the Norstar/BCM. How can individuals be so arrogant to say that the customers NEED to adjust because they are Avaya now....that's what's driven me away from this IP Office product. Customers should get what THEY want, not what Avaya pushes onto them. Thanks DigitelD for actually trying to emulate and satisfy the former Nortel customer unlike the "Nortel haters" on this post.

Joseph Sus-Nortel Installer/Programmer

The reason I am angry is that this reminds me of the Macy's push a few years back in the USA. They bought every department store in the country and said that those customers would "have" to conform to the new standards, of less features in the store and new Macy's only operations. Say in Chicago, there were many loyal Marshall Field's shoppers who felts Field's was special. Macy's, the big red monster, came into Chicago and said, "we don't care what you think, you'll need to adjust to us and you don't have any choice." well they screwed up big time.....customers deserted Macy's for retailers such as Nordstrom, Target and Carson's.

This reminds me of Avaya pushing Avaya feature codes and operations onto the Nortel customer and saying "No, you don't call park by 101, you have to use the NEW Avaya way" wah, wah.

Why couldn't Avaya develop a way to make the feature codes and functions work seamlessly?

Joe

Joseph Sus-Nortel Installer/Programmer

GordonKapesMZ4, you are totaly wrong.
This is not because Avaya wants it, this is because the customer bought the system so who's fault is this?

Stop being negative or go somewhere else!

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Tlpeter you are correct. It is so much better to convince the customer to convert to total Avaya. There are some gotcha's with the Nortel/Avaya mix. However, when a salesman doesn't sell correctly and it is up to the field engineer to make the customer happy you have to do your best and that was the reason for my post. I think a lot of customers have been misled into believing that keeping their Nortel phones means keeping all the features they used to have. Just simply not true. That is why it is better to go all Avaya. I see so many issues with the mixing. Things go much better the other way.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)
NCSS, ATSP/IP

Joe, because it was never Avaya's plan to turn the IPO into a Nortel, why would they annoy all existing Avaya techs, BP's and customers etc by suddenly making the IP Ofiice work like a Nortel? They allowed re use of handsets and carried across some feature codes, that's enough. We know you are not happy but the IPO will never be turned into a Nortel so either get used to it or move on to that Emetrotel system and leave the IPO behind, you sound like a stuck record :)

Now here is the news for all people that complain about the park functionality
I have put shortcodes into the system since we park customers (I work on IPO since 2002) to be able to pickup parked calls from analog phones, that works the same way as described by the OP.
If there is no extension 101 and 102 you can even use just 101/2 to pick up the parked call

Yes it is a new system but Avaya has spent so much money to advertise that customers can reuse their old junk phones (m-series garbage that was a great phone but has outlived its time)that customers expect the same functionality from it.
Compare it to a car, you get into your car that got a new engine and suddenly your accelerator is on the left side and the clutch is on the right just because that manufacturer has always done it.
Customers are not techs, most are afraid of technology and scared to do something wrong and have a hard time to follow even the simplest of instructions, some are absolutely great in accepting the changes but like said before most are not.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back