Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EMM386 and Old DOS Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

llee6908

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2001
US
We have a Dell Dimension PC running Windows98. We need expanded memory support for an old DOS banking software package. EMM386 will not load. We have tried it with several parameters:
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe /FRAME=None AUTO

and also one with some actual memory addresses with the i= parameter per Microsoft.

All get some type of an error... from invalid page to memory addresses and on and on.

Any ideas???

himem first? Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I would suggest making a boot disk then modify the config.sys with those parameters. try going to and type in expanded memory boot disk. maybe this will point you in the right direction.

Yes, device=c:\windows\himem.sys is in the config and loading first

are you running this from a DOS window within windows? if yes i would try it from full DOS mode ( press f8 on startup and choose DOS prompt). if this still does not work try moving your memory ( what model of dimension is it??) about physically. If in doubt get the Ball Pein Hammer out

How about noems for modifier.
And the exact error messages. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I can't go to noems because expanded is required to run the DOS program. They won't want to run in full DOS mode as they need access to other Windows programs easily and be able to multi-task. This is working in ALL other Windows PC's in the establishment. This is the ONLY one not cooperating. It is the newest machine. I don't remember the # but it is a Dell Dimension l___r series.

thanks!

Which 98? And the rest? Trying to identify a specific difference.
And then there is the possibility that emm is bad.
Try it in dos mode with [F8] to see if the failure comes up there also. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

We have a mixture of Windows95B, Windows98 and Windows98 2nd Edition all running the EMM and DOS program successfully. It is unique to this machine. I will try running it in DOS mode to see if the error continues.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back