Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Emergency! Where's my database gone??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petemush

Technical User
Jun 21, 2002
GB
Helloo,

Slight problem, I opened up my database to discover nothing there. Holding down shift did not bring up the main window and if I try and run it as normal nothing happens either. I can't get into the startup menu either. I've tried it on another machine on the network and the same thing happens.

What's more annoying is, in the shutdown procedure of the database I backup the whole database to the local disk and all table data to network drives but that's only when you use the exit button provided on the main menu. Since I've been amending the database I've not been constricted to that choice alone and only used it on monday! I know, I know, very amateur and foolish.

Has anyone had this problem before? No what's up?

Cheers,

Pete - Panicking quite a lot.

Pete,

First thing, open the database and try the F11 key to see if you can get the database window to open.

When you say that you can't get into the startup menu, do you mean that you can't get into Tools > Startup? If so, I think you're going to have to go back to Monday. If shift doesn't allow you to get here, I don't know of a way to get any further. I'm sure that there are others out there who do know, so let's hope that they are checking out this forum.

If you can get to Tools > Startup, check the "Display Database Window" checkbox. Also in "Advanced >>" check the "Use Access Special Keys" checkbox.

Good luck.

Howard.

Thanks,

Hmmm, can't use F11 and if I open the VBA editor it says no project loaded. What's more is my boss who was using it yesterday said she tried to open it and she got an error message and asking if she wanted to repair it. She clicked yes so would that have affected anything?

Cheers,

Pete

Pete,

Sounds like you've got more problems than I can help you with.

If reverting to Monday's backup isn't an option, look at thread181-139571 which gives the name of a couple of companies who can recover corrupt databases. There are loads more, possibly one or two located near you.

One more piece of advice...Keep the Boss off the damn thing!

Good luck.

Howard.

You could try to repair again.
Open access and cancel the file select.
Under tools select Database utilities/compact and repair.
Select your db from the compact from, click compact, type a new name for compact into. When finished, try opening the new name. If it repaired, make a back up, delete old db and rename new compacted to old.

Thanks for all your help,

I really should stop jumping to the conclusion that I'm the only person capable of breaking my database.

Helpdesk informed me that the process running the database locked up on the server and they didn't want to force it to quit because it would probably crash the server.

However, after asking them nicely, they sorted it all out.

Cheers again,

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back