Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Emergency help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

laoscura

Technical User
May 25, 2010
US
I'm using Illustrator 10, education version on windows xp.

This has happened before, I fixed it, but don't remember how.
I have a document with type that I can't select by dragging the type tool, nor can I turn it to outlines. It just seems to be selectable only in a box, meaning I can only click the outside of a complete box to select it. I have a job that needs to go out the door asap, and can't figure this out.
Help!

...are you certain the text is actually a font and not already a font converted into outlines?

andrew

============
============

Actually, I tried typing in a new paragraph, and it too behaves the same way. The font can be selected with the selection tool. However, it cannot be highlighted. If I go to "create outlines", the option is gray and unavailable.

I've tried "bring to front" several times. I've sent the art to the back. I've checked for anything being locked, nothing. Like I said, this happened before, but I just can't figure out how I fixed it.

...sounds like illustrator is throwing a wobbly to me, i would look into trashing or moving the illustrator settings folder, restart illustrator for it to be rebuilt:

Documents and Settings/[user name]/Application Data/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator Settings

andrew

============
============

...as i'm a mac user i believe this is the correct location from memory...

...the settings folder may also be hidden on windows, so if it is choose the "view options" to show hidden files/folders in the window you have open...

andrew

============
============

Thanks again. If it's in here, I'll find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back