Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EMC Symmwin Utility password question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonster

Technical User
Apr 1, 2002
US
Hi all,
I've heard that there is a "default" password for EMC's Symmwin utility. Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks,
Lon
lnaylor@speedchoice.com

This is a dangerouse ground that you are getting into.

Symmwin is the utility that holds the code info, bin file, disgnostics info etc. Are yo triying to plug in a software utility of your own into symmwin. I cannot think another reason that you would need this password.

Thanks for the response.
Yes, I can see how this might seem strange. The project I'm working on is a little strange...
I'm a retired engineer doing research for a client of mine (it's for a legal matter so I can't give details). The criteria is simply this: "Does the default username and password for the EMC Symmwin utility exist in the public domain? If so, what is it?"

So, I'm searching the net for it. I assure you and everyone here, that I have no malicious intent...just information gathering.

Any help you could give would be appreciated. Even if you could just conform that it exists would be helpful. I would be willing to pay for your time...

Thanks in advance,
Lon

I understand that it is not easy to obtain, but I will try.

Hello there. I have been taking the hard drives out of EMC's and re-using them in my Proliant servers. They work great. I have also been getting them for a great price. I just obtained another unit and would like to try using one as is (not parting it). The unit seems functional, but when I use the console and try to re-configure it, it asks me for a password. I do not have one. I was wondering if someone could provide me a "default" password that I would be able to use to try and re-initialize this unit. It is fairly new and it seems like a crime to take it apart just for the drives. I was planning to use a differential SCSI card to talk to it. It would be more for learning on it than anything else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Best Regards
Nick

Understand, that all SYMWIN commands are logged and if you do something that has adverse effect to the SAN solution. EMC TSG will know that is was not the fault of there CE, SA, SE or RTS by there daily schedules. And if EMC has to come in and fix your screw-up. It will cost the company big $$,$$$$ and you will be in major hot water. My 2 cents

Understand, that all SYMWIN commands are logged and if you do something that has adverse effect to the SAN solution. EMC TSG will know that is was not the fault of there CE, SA, SE or RTS by there daily schedules. And if EMC has to come in and fix your screw-up. It will cost the company big $$,$$$ and you will be in major hot water. My 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back