Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Embeded PDF Reader in x64

Status
Not open for further replies.

SqueakinSweep

Programmer
Jun 20, 2002
GB
I have a VB.Net app which has an embedded COM Adobe Acrobat reader control within it. It works fine on XP, and Win7 32 bit, but falls over with a "Class not registered" error on Win7 x64

Has anyone else encountered this, and knows a workaround?. I was wondering if there was an x64 Adobe Reader 10 install set. I had a similar problem with Crystal Reports runtime, and found on x64 machines I had to install both the x86 and x64 runtimes for it to work.

Installing Adobe Standard isnt really a viable option, as there are many affected machines (or there soon will be), and of course Adobe Reader is free. Alternatively does anyone know of any 3rd party PDF viewer controls which are compatible with all versions of Win7?

Thanks in advance.

Sweep
...if it works, you know the rest..
Always remember that Google is your friend

curse.gif

The regsvr32.exe located at 'C:\Windows\System32' is the 64-bit version. The regsvr32.exe located at 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64' is the 32-bit version. Use the 32-bit version to register to component and it should work.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Ohhh..now that is very interesting if it works. I have worked around the PDF viewer problem simply by shelling to another process of AcroRd32.exe which solves the problem for now.

I do however have have another embedded viewer control, which I
will try your solution on. So, would I be correct in thinking that anyhting that installs via an install set is registered automatically in 64 bit regsrvr mode?

Thanks for the heads up...will try that tomorrow.

Sweep
...if it works, you know the rest..
Always remember that Google is your friend

curse.gif

Better you use a webbrowser control on your app. I am using it for a long time without any problem.

Zameer Abdulla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back