Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Embedding TIFF file viewer in Access form

Status
Not open for further replies.

grantwilliams

Programmer
Sep 8, 2003
AU
Hi all,

In an effort to try to reduce the amount of paperwork we are handling, I'm looking to integrate our online fax with our cash receipting database. Our faxes are stored as multi-page TIFF files on a network drive.

My plan is to have Access cycle through all of the files in the directory, move them to a "registered" folder and register the filename in a table. These files can then be viewed, indexed and matched to a transaction on our bank statement table.

I'm OK to do most of this, but I need to find a way of embedding a viewer onto a form. I've done some searching on the web and see the following suggestions which won't suit:

- Embedding an image in the form - this won't work as approximately half of our users are on Access 2003 and from 2003, Access won't allow TIFF Files to be viewed;

- Converting the multi page TIFF Files to multiple jpg files - this won't work as we receive approximately 40,000 faxes each year and the time requirement of conversion does not meet with the business needs;

- Using the Shell statement to open the default viewer - as this will open outside of Access, it makes the task of indexing and matching to the bank statement table more difficult.

Ideally, what I'm looking to do is to invoke the PC's default TIFF viewer within a frame on the form.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

Grant

I think "Microsoft Document Imaging Viewer" can be inserted on a form and used for this.

Unfortunately I have no sample code at the moment.

Hi Zameer,

Thanks for your reply. I've done some reading on this and also looked into it on the computers at work. Unfortunately, MODI has been disabled on the computers at work.

I'm restricted to using only what programs are already on the machines, hence I'm looking to embed each machine's default tiff viewer. As far as I know, on all machines this is the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

To be successful, I will need to be able to have the next page, previous page, zoom and print controls enabled.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Grant

I don't think it is possible with less resources.
Better to automate (launch) default tiff viewer on each pc.
Look for "Followhyperlink" in the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back