Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Embedding graphics in a PCL document 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

timboyer

MIS
Dec 23, 2000
US
I've got an application that draws a form in PCL. I now need to add a copy of a signature to the form.

Is there any way, in PCL or HPGL, to embed a graphics file? I tried getting a graphics program that does .jpg to .pcl conversion, and then just putting the resulting .pcl code into the document - the results were _not_ pretty.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Jim.

There is a list (pages long) of the different image formats one can use.

If you are specifically looking try a man on ImageMagick for what types are available and a man on convert to get the syntax if you don't know the correct extension.

example: convert image.bmp image.jpg this works fine

however if you don't know the correct extension for a CMYKA file just specify that's what it is and it will convert it.

Works very well and great for multiple images in a script.

Alex G.

I first compiled ImageMagick 10 or 12 years ago, long before Red Hat or Linux were around. At that time, I don't believe PCL was supported, but it is significant piece of work.

For format conversions in the Windows environment, the Hijaak Express package is inexpensive and can convert a long list of image formats to whatever, including PCL.

While it only supports BMP, PCX, and JPG, my MKPCL program provides much better PCL support than the others, and it is available for SCO, DOS, Linux, and freeBSD. It does more than just convert the format. Of particular interest is the option to specify the PCL output as a macro, PCL compression that can reduce filesize immensely particularly on bi-level files, and the ability to embed the printing location on the sheet in the file. A bunch of other options are there as well.

As with many computer tasks, there are a number of approaches to accomplish your ends. Over the years, and I have been doing this for a long time, I have found that it is almost always best to set up PCL images as macros. It is simply easier to work with them and considerably more flexible within your application when the image is a macro.

Certainly, you can add the macro code by hand to any PCL file that lacks it.

Jim Asman
jlasman@telus.net

Hey GUYS,

I just stumbled into this forum and quite surprised that SQR is
not even mentioned when doing PCL encoding. We have been using
SQR to print checks and other high graphic reporting such as BARCODE labels and logos, signatures and micr. People who uses
application like Peoplesoft really know this product very well.

I would suggest to look into SQR since this product is independent of any platform and database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back