Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Embedding graphics in a PCL document 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

timboyer

MIS
Dec 23, 2000
US
I've got an application that draws a form in PCL. I now need to add a copy of a signature to the form.

Is there any way, in PCL or HPGL, to embed a graphics file? I tried getting a graphics program that does .jpg to .pcl conversion, and then just putting the resulting .pcl code into the document - the results were _not_ pretty.

Thanks for any suggestions...

I'm looking for a tim boyer in Nevada...are you he?

Tim,

I have the same problem. Our form contains our logo and we want to print it using PCL. I also tried converting the bmp to pcl by printing to file (using a hp laserjet driver) and then capturing the resulting pcl commands but the printout is incomplete. some parts of the image were missing.

Anyone, please share your knowledge on this. thanks.

Still haven't found a good solution. I'm not looking _too_ hard - but I am looking! If I find something, I'll be sure and let you know.

-- tim --

I found the answer to our question last week. You need to have your graphics (bmp or in any other format) converted to PCL binary file. The cheapest way to do this is to open your file and then do print to file. However, the result is messy and unacceptable and it will involve editting the binary file it produced. I found a software that does this cleanly and effectively and you can even assign a macro id to the PCL converted file. After converting the bmp to PCL macro, you need to download the macro to the printer by doing

copy /b <macrofile> lpt<#>

where <macrofile> is your image converted to pcl macro and <#> is your printer port.

After successfully downloading, your macro to the printer, you may then send PCL command to the printer to execute your macro and it will print the image.

the command to execute the macro is:

ESC&f2X - will execute the last macro id specified.

If you need any more information, email me @ mcregal@yahoo.com

Hope this helps.

Good news. I found this option for us to do this cheaper. The software I was talking about in my previous entry is called Transform Professional from Mips Dataline America. Mips however got acquired by g7 Productivity Systems and the software now costs $1500. I found this website that sells this software for $500.00 less. Plus, I talked to the owner directly (his name is Greg Berthume) and he can even convert the images to PCL macro files at very affordable cost. Which means, that if you are only converting few images, it is much cheaper to just send him your image(s) and he will convert it for you for a reasonable rate. Go to his website for more information...

when you order, tell him that Dan Regalado referred you. He knows that I am referring you to him.

Good luck guys.

Dan, that's fantastic. I've got just one signature to add - I'll give him a call today.

Thanks _very_ much!

-- tim --

I just was on the looking for an answer cause I had the same problems. After all I did not finde any good and cheap way of converting grafiks for PCL. Cause I have to convert a lot of graphiks and dont want to spend $1500 just to be able to convert, I m asking myself if there is not a software less expencive that the one noticed above. Does anybody know a cheaper one????
Thx!

I sell a program called MKPCL designed specfically
take a .BMP or .PCX file as input and create a PCL
file as output. There are some 20 options to modify
the output.

This is a command line driven program and is available
for both DOS and SCO UNIX. $75 It is very fast.

If you are interested, email to jim@spctra.wimsey.com
or telephone (604)738-6112

Jim Asman

I want to print a pcl overlay (with macro) on epson epl 5800 o 5900 but the printer print only a blank page

There are a few reasons why you could be getting a
blank page. Without seeing your PCL code it's pretty
difficult to say.

Perhaps your macro is not stored in the printer properly
or it isn't being called properly. Maybe it is printing
at an address off the page...

Also, are you sure that the code itself actually does
print something?

More information needed...

Jim Asman

Dan,
I just happened to pass by to this site and saw your name ( dai ka na talaga ma reach pade, payt sana )in the forum,tell me more about this site. thanks,(

Alan Brojas

Wish I had seen this earlier. Did my first signature to print on a 1040 tax form about 8 years ago.

RedHat Linux 7.3 and later (maybe earlier)

convert image.png image.pcl

Done!

Done for some maybe... :)

Hopefully the RedHat program can deal with image files that people are typically looking to convert... .bmp, .jpg etc.

Jim Asman
jlasman@telus.net

I've done signatures for years on forms.

Get a tiff file (scan the signature) of the signature,
then use vuimg (a dos graphics program) and it will create
a raster graphics file of the signature. You will need to
play with it to get it the size wanted but it works great
on laser printers. Should work on most ink-jets (hp pcl compatible but should have it as the last thing in the file).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back