Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

embedding fonts

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBL626

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2001
US
Hi,
I would like to know how I can embed a particular font into my webpage without having people download it. A couple of people were not able to see this font (Futura Black BT). I am using DreamWeaver 4.01.

Thanks in advance
Lee

Hi

If you really must embed Futura, then you need to read this super tutortial fromWebmonkey:

It covers Embedded OpenType (.eot) files and TrueDoc (.pfr) files

Then again, you could always use Futura as artwork if you don't use it too much Derren
[Mediocre talent - spread really thin]

Derren
Thanks for replying so quickly.
What do you mean by making it artwork? Are you suggesting that I turn it into an image?

Lee

Yes, for example, if you are using Futura as a font for just main headings or a handful of text items then you could try to create a piece of artwork using the text. This is remarkably effective, and if you optimise your images properly it works a treat. Then just use the old "arial,helvetica,sans-serif" text for everything else.

Do you have Fireworks as well? Derren

Derren,
I have fireworks as well.
Check out go to the profile page.
What I want to do is replace all of the Implementation Inc's that were done in Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif and change them to Futura Black BT (that is the font on the company letterhead)...The Implementation Inc logo at the top of the page is an image.
Let me know what you think I should do.

Lee

Yes, for sure make that an image. For one it is repeated through the page, so the page will only load one image and for another it is only a small amount of text.

I don't know how good you are with fireworks, but it is a superb piece of kit. Be aware of these things for image optimisation:

1) Make sure the image ends up the size that you need when it leaves fireworks, never, ever allow a browser or dreamweaver to resize any images

2) Go through the "export preview" and tweak your settings (especially number of colours) until the file is as small in byte size as possible without losing too much quality

3) If it is flat blocks of colour, use GIF, for blends and photo type images use JPG

Good luck. Derren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back