Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Embedding .ai / .psd files in ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

damnpup

Technical User
Jun 24, 2006
GB
Hello everyone,

This is my first time using InDesign. I am working on a catalogue and will bring to print shop very soon.

What is the best method for handling .indd at the print shop? Do I embedd all .ai and .psd files in InDesign, or export .indd to pdf? or Not embedd any files at all and burn all linked files on a DVD?

I am very confused and would welcome any comment.

2 options.

Before doing anything, preflight the document - File menu to make sure everything is ok

1. Export to pdf using the Press setting. You will not need anything else with this as all images become part of the pdf. This is now the most common way of delivering jobs to the printer.

2. On file menu, select Package. This will create a new folder with all images (called links), and fonts as well as you document, this can be burned to cd and delivered to the printer.

Of course you can put both on one cd and give that to the printer.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Just one further point - the default Press setting when exporting a PDF will not include the printers marks. These can be added by checking the box when exporting the PDF.

It's always a good idea to contact the printer to ask what they would prefer to receive - a PDF or a package. If they say a PDF, double check they can handle an IDCS2 PDF, because their RIP will need to be able to handle transparency effects.

If in doubt, or don't know where your job will be printed, then create a PDF/X-1a (in the PDF types dropdown menu) as this is an internationally recognised standard that will not cause probelms with older RIPs. Of course, if you do use this method, double check the PDF in Acrobat to see if anything hasn't come out as expected/designed. If there are issues, then go back to the ID doc and fix them. Note also that the PDF/X-1a setting does not include printers marks by default either.

You've probably already brought your job to the printer, but I just want to stress to ask your printer before you bring any files -- or even before you start. Many print shops still don't accept InDesign and some, believe it or not, don't like pdf files either. I'm sure it's a matter of their platesetter being outdated, but in any case I hate to see designers spend hours of work on something only to find their printer can't handle the file. :(

Many thanks for your replies. They were extremely helpful. I am still couple months away from the printing job but I just want to make sure everything would be seamless in the process.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back