Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Embedding a .pdf into a Word Document

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleSmudge

Programmer
Mar 18, 2002
GB
I am working on a Procedures document and I have a need to include some sample one pages forms, as in :-

.. .. and then the operator shall fill in the XYZ form as shown in fig 47. .. .. ..

I can convert the sample forms into .pdf files.
I would then like to Embed these .pdfs into the Word document to show up like pictures to that I can scale them to fit on the page and add Figure numbers - thus being able to generate a table of figures too.

HOWEVER, every time I try to embed the .pdf I just get a .pdf ICON rather than the image that I want.
How do I import / embed a .pdf so that the actual image of the page appears in the document ?

( I don't have Draft set and I don't have picture place holders set : because other images and drawing objects show up perfectly well. )

G LS

Hi,

I've tried the same as I needed a similar document in the past and the PDF doesn't display, I don't think there are PDF filters in Word. I'm also unsure if it's possible at all as Word calls the Adobe application you have installed to view the file, maybe someone knows of another way around it.

Digga

Sharing Knowledge Saves Valuable Time!

Have you tried opening the pdfs as windows (smaller than full screen), the using the print screen key to put the display on the clipboard.

Paint can be used to trim the display, select the area you need, edit/copy, go into word, edit/paste and you have a picture of the form displayed in the original screen

HTH
Telephoto

PS Digga - thanks for the tip on referencing combo boxes.

Then in that case :- Is there any way of converting a .pdf into someting like a .tif or .jpg that can be embedded correctly ?

G LS

If you have Acrobat, you can do a "Save As" and change the save as type to .JPG, and this will save each page as a JPG. However, I don't think Reader has this capability

No MitchCumstein , 'Reader' doesn't have the capability to create the .pdfs in the first place either - I'll have a look at using Acrobat to create something other than a .pdf file format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back