Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Embedded VM transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgonzalez77

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2008
US
Hi Guys,

setup an IPO 500 with embedded voicemail, v5.0. This was my first experience with embedded.

The question/issue I have has to do with transfers. We are using the auto attendent feature. In embedded, you have to select an action, it seems that you can't just dial the extension number if you know it. Our extension conventions are 2xx. So I set the #2 button to perform an action of "DialByExtension". What happens then is that the callers have to press "2" followed by the extension number.
So in my case, if I was calling in and wanted x201, I would have to press "2201".

If there is a direct way, I'd love to know of it. To get around it though, I created "dummy" extensions of 01, 02, etc (fortunately it's a small office). SO now when you call in if you dial "201" you're really dialing "2" + "01". But it works (somewhat) as it gets you to 201.

here's the big problem. If the person at x201 isn't there, the call goes BACK to the dummy forwarding extension of 01 and the call goes to x01's voicemail, which of course is not being checked.

In embedded, there are several pre-defined "actions" that can be taken, such as dial by name, dial by number, blind transfer, direct transfer, etc. Am I using the correct method of dial by number? Or is there a way to set the #2 option to blind transfer with a variable that indicates what extension to transfer to?

Thanks!

What you have found is how embedded works. You have to program a button for "dial by number", and then after you select that button you dial the extension.

VMPro is what you need for true dial by number.

Embedded Dial by Name is pretty bad too.

I usually use "#" as the dial by extension action. It leads to less confusion.
Something worth noting as well, from a user mailbox, callers have to dial "*0" for the reception breakout.

You could do something like this:

On the main auto attendant have option 2 go to a second auto-attendant with a recording that says "press # and your party's three digit extension".

On the secondary auto attendant only have the # key defined. (Though I would also add something like "press * to go back to the main menu").

scenario: extensions in the 201 to 230 range

AA1: option 2 goes to AA2

AA2 options 0, 1, 2 and 3 are going to more AA down the line )AA0 to AA3 (that gives you the first 2 digits 2 and 0
then have the AA3 gives you the last digit by routing digits 1 to ext 201 digi 2 to 202 and so on.
a bitch to program but works.

I hope I make sense there.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS (they told me twice so I guess it is tru that I am ACSS)

I don't suffer from insanity
I enjoy every moment of it :)

^^^

Joe, that worked! It too me a while to figure out what you were trying to say, but once I thought it through, it became clear. Fortunately it's a small office so there wasn't a lot of extensions that I had to program in.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back